|Type of record:||Monument|
Stradsett Park is an early 19th century park and pleasure ground laid out by J. C. Loudon between 1810 and 1813. Although there was no park on the site previous to this, there are walled gardens dating to the 18th century. The north shrubbery dates to 1827 to 1833, and the ornamental kitchen garden to the early 19th century. The drive from the southwest is now abandoned, and was the original park entrance, leading to a raised knoll formed of spoil from the lake. This would have been the site of a new house, but the idea was abandoned.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6658 0604|
|Parish:||STRADSETT, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Historic Parkland Grade II, and area of pre-park ridge and furrow.
Where latter extends outside designated park area it is marked as context 2 on NHER map.
No park on site previous to 1808 when Repton and Loudon both submitted plans: scheme by Haverfield of Kew to resite mansion never carried out. Loudon was commissioned and park and lakes complete by 1816. Further 19th century work included extension by church now abandoned. 18th century walled gardens near house; north shrubbery 1827-33. Ornamental kitchen garden early 19th century.
Information Norfolk County Council Inventory of Parks.
Drive from southwest, now abandoned, was the original park entrance. Raised knoll formed by spoil from lake is centre of design and presumably the site for the abandoned new house.
Information from English Heritage Register of Parks.
1 July 1976. Ordnance Survey aerial photography.
Ridge and furrow.
D. Voisey (NLA), 13 February 1995.
August 1978 and February 1989.
Ridge and furrow and possible curving hollow ways, predating park, noted by D.Edwards (NAU).
Much greater area of ridge and furrow visible on 1946 RAF aerial photographs.
E. Rose (NLA), 15 March 1994.
Some of this ridge and furrow extends into NHER 25377 and NHER 17492.
See combined plot by B. Cushion (NLA) in file, and notes by him on the remaining upstanding rigg in the parkland.
E. Rose (NLA), 20 February 1996.
February 2001. Field observation.
At TF 6655 0514, east of Home Farm.
Spigot mortar base. Survey J3-009.
See form in file (S1).
D. Gurney (NLA), 6 February 2001.
- HOLLOW WAY (Unknown date)
- RIDGE AND FURROW (Unknown date)
- HOLLOW WAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GARDEN HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GARDEN WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PARK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Registered Park or Garden
- Higher Level Stewardship
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF6606 A-D,F,G. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: OS 76-125-485. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: OS 76125 486. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: OS 76-125-487. |
|---||Photograph: Kent, P.. 2001. KHL 20-23. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Norfolk Defensive Structures Survey record form. |
|57215||Parent of: Stradsett Hall Gates (Monument)|
|57216||Parent of: Stradsett Hall haha (Monument)|
|57214||Parent of: Walled garden at Stradsett Hall Park (Landscape)|
|4362||Part of: Stradsett Hall (Building)|
Find out more...