|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Neolithic flint axe, Roman and medieval coins and Late Saxon disc brooch|
Metal detecting here in 1996 and 1999 recovered a variety of metal objects. Finds of note included a Late Saxon disc brooch with Borre style decoration, a Neolithic flint axehead and two medieval coins.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 22 21|
|Parish:||STRATTON STRAWLESS, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Neolithic polished axe, (S1).
Late Saxon disc brooch, (S2), convex with trefoil design of three Borre-style animal masks with triangular faces and round ears, divided by a Y-shaped looped double ribbon overlaid by circular triple ribbon. Reverse has double pin lug, catchplate and single suspension lug at right angles. Rather worn. 10th century.
Medieval, two coins.
Early post medieval coin and jetton.
See list in file.
Identified by P. Robins (NCM), J. Davies (NCM) and H. Geake (NCM).
H. Geake (NCM) 5 November 1996.
October-November 1999. Metal detecting.
J. A. Davies (NCM) identified: one Roman coin. See list in file.
K. Hinds (NLA) 23 February 2000.
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POLISHED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BROOCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Illustration: Robins, P. 1996. Drawing of a Neolthic polished axe.. Paper. 1:1. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Gibbons, J.. 2007. Drawing of a Late Saxon disc brooch with Borre style decoration.. Film. 2:1. |
|37111||Related to: Medieval and post medieval metal objects (Find Spot)|
Find out more...