Record Details

NHER Number:243
Type of record:Find Spot
Name:Undated human remains from Norwich Castle Bridge, Castle Mound


In 1807 during the removal of the stone facings of bridge to the Castle, in connection with alterations to Castle Hill, two human skulls were found. Later, in 1934, more human skulls were found at the south end of the bridge. It seems likely that these remains belong to prisoners held at the Castle who died and were buried here. For information about the bridge itself and associated structures see NHER 874 and 26001.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2318 0845
Map Sheet:TG20NW

Full description

1807. Casual Observation.
In removing stone facings of bridge to castle in connection with alterations to Castle Hill (this suggests it was at the south end) 92cm (3ft) below surface.
Two human skulls.
Information from 1807 newspaper article (S1) - see transcription (S2).
However E. B. Green (NCM) notes that alterations were carried out on the mound as well in the 19th century, where bodies believed to be those of inmates of the prison were found in the 1990s.

September 1934. At south end of bridge.
Human skulls found.
Section drawing at NCM.
R. R. Clarke (NCM) 1950.

'Norwich Castle bridge under path crown of arch 1950'. Does this mean it was actually in bridge structure?
Grimston green glazed jug body sherd 14th century.
Find held by NCM.

Monument Types

  • BRIDGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Jennings, S. 1981. Eighteen Centuries of Pottery from Norwich. East Anglian Archaeology. No 13.
---Article in Serial: Goodacre, H. 1940. Notes from a Kirkpatrick Manuscript. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXVII Pt II pp 290-307. p 292.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Norwich Mercury. 1807. [unknown]. 4 July.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Cubitt, D. 1987. [Transcription of Norwich Mercury article from 1807].

Related records

Site 1776Parent of: Castle Bridge (Monument)
Mon 567Parent of: Castle Bridge (Monument)
Site 3828Parent of: Castle Mall Trial Trench 103 - Castle Bridge (Monument)
Site 1748Parent of: Norwich Castle Bridge (Monument)
Site 1749Parent of: Norwich Castle Bridge (Monument)
26001Part of: Bridge over Castle Moat and entrance lodges (Building)
874Part of: Norwich Castle Bridge (Monument)
429Part of: Norwich Castle, Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service