|Type of record:||Find Spot|
Fieldwalking between 1983 and 1984 recovered a range of objects, including Neolithic or Bronze Age worked flints and Iron Age, Roman, Saxon and medieval pottery fragments. Metal detecting from 1998 to 2001 recovered a Roman coin, a medieval jetton and a post medieval token.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 32 26|
|Parish:||DILHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Spring 1983. Field northwest of Dilham Church
Found in systematic fieldwalking down main body of field.
Note that the material runs up to and presumably continues beyond the area recorded so far.
Thin scatter of Neolithic/Bronze Age worked flint, with a concentration about 50m across in southeast corner, occasional sherds of prehistoric flint gritted pottery, and scrappy sherds of Roman and medieval pottery.
The rest of the area is to be walked winter 1983 to 4.
A. Gregory (NAU), 4 October 1983.
Further fieldwalking produced Iron Age or Early Saxon pottery, Ipswich and Thetford wares.
See text of dissertation (S1) in file.
Pottery identified by A. Gregory (NAU).
E. Rose (NAU), 26 November 1985.
1998. Metal detecting.
One Roman coin
One medieval jetton and one post medieval token.
See lists in file.
A.Rogerson (NLA), 26 March 1999.
December 2000 to January 2001. Metal detecting.
?Roman elongated (25mm long) conical bronze stud from furniture (diameter 14mm), with fragment of triangular sectioned iron rivet. (Total length 40mm).
Identified by S. Ashley (NLA).
See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 17 February 2001.
Metal detecting, 5 June 1995.
2 unidentified, probably Medieval, lead objects: Polaroid with notes by WFM on reverse: "?Med pb fragment with low relief dec (?a pair of callipers) - merchant's mark?" & "?med pb triangular plate frag with acorn within a triangle & a pelleted border ?what is it?"
A. Rogerson (NLA), 30 September 2008.
- FINDSPOT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 650 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- POT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FURNITURE FITTING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- JETTON (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: NCC Find Identification and Recording Service. c. 1975-2000. HES Find Polaroid Collection. HES Find Polaroid Collection. polaroid. black and white. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Hooper, R.. A beginning in the study of the landscape history and field archaeology of the parishes of Dilham and Smallburgh in north east Norfolk.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...