|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Neolithic to Bronze Age flint working site and multi-period finds|
A Neolithic to Bronze Age flint working site, including finds of flakes, scrapers, part of a polished axehead and an awl, was found on the surface after ploughing before 1978. Metal detecting between 1998 and 1999 recovered a medieval buckle plate and seal matrix and an early post medieval hooked tag.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 68 41|
|Parish:||OLD HUNSTANTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Found before 1978.
Surface finds after ploughing cultivated land within park.
Flint industry comprising in the main flakes, scrapers, doubtful core remnants and part of a damaged polished flint axe.
Also an awl.
Spread of about five hectares fieldwalked.
At , an area of pottery including in the main Grimston and Thetford Ware storage jars and other Saxo-Norman types.
E. Rose (NAU), 22 February 1982.
Two small cores, six scrapers and twenty one flakes.
Given to NCM via J. Wymer (NAU) February 1989.
Part of same scatter.
See map in file.
J. Wymer (NAU), 16 February 1988.
1998-1999. Metal detecting.
Medieval buckle plate.
Medieval seal matrix.
Early post medieval hooked tag.
See further description in file.
K. Hinds (NLA), 23 August 2000.
- LITHIC WORKING SITE (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- AWL (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- CORE (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- FLAKE (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- POLISHED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SEAL MATRIX (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOOKED TAG (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
Related records - none
Find out more...