Record Details

NHER Number:13240
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of medieval Sustead Hall

Summary

According to late 18th century sources medieval Sustead Hall stood on the banks of a stream running to Hanworth Park. However, the only remains to be noted comprise a long boundary wall and a few stones. As such the location of the medieval Hall is uncertain, as it could lie here, or on the site of the present Hall (NHER 12328), at Hall Farm (NHER 12106) or at a moated enclosure (NHER 29601) elsewhere.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:Not displayed
Parish:SUSTEAD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Late 18th century. On banks of stream running to Hanworth Park. Site of old Sustead Hall, square, moated and buttressed.
Along the stream a long boundary wall and a few stones.
Humphrey Repton, quoted by (S1) as if a contemporary description in 1900! Nothing like this seen in area by E. Rose (NAU) when visited 1977.
Owner of present 17th century hall (NHER 12328) says he believed his house stood on the site the hall had always occupied; whereas map (S2) marks Hall Farm (NHER 12106) as the Hall.
Neither corresponds to Repton's description.
E. Rose (NAU) 1977.

However if, as probably correct, NHER 12106 is only an outbuilding of the former hall, the ruins of the hall itself could have been nearby.
E. Rose (NAU) 25 October 1982.

The tithe map shows the area the same as now, with no suggestion of above site.
Hall Farm NHER 12106 is marked as such, but the Hall NHER 12328 is simply noted as 'dwelling house'.
E. Rose (NAU) 15 November 1982.

See note NHER 12328 for foundations found there, and NHER 29601 for a moat - both possible sites for above.
E. Rose (NLA) 28 July 1997.

Monument Types

  • BOUNDARY MARKER (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Serial: Bryant, T. H.. 1898-1915. The Churches of Norfolk.. Vols 1-19..
<S2>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.

Related records

29601Related to: Cropmarks of possible medieval moated manorial site (Monument)
12328Related to: Sustead Old Hall (Building)
12106Related to: Tudor House (formerly Hall Farm Buildings) (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service