|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Tudor House (formerly Hall Farm Buildings)|
This old farmhouse dates to the late 16th century. It is built from brick, has stepped gables and the roof has a star-topped chimneystack. It has been suggested to be the medieval Sustead Hall but it is far more likely that it was an outbuilding of the vanished Hall. Nevertheless it is an important early example of a building where animal and human habitation was combined into one.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1916 3686|
|Parish:||SUSTEAD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Old farmhouse, late 16th century brick, windows with brick hoodmoulds and mullions, arched doorways with in one case remains of cement imitating stone; stepped gables, star topped chimney.
Application to demolish April 1976.
Norfolk Archaeological Research Group survey in file.
E. Rose (NAU).
Marked as Sustead Hall on (S1).
Permission was refused to demolish, but in 1985 permission sought to rebuild it at Smallburgh.
Photographs by North Norfolk District Council show star topped chimney now mutilated, base only remains, but otherwise no external change from Norfolk Archaeological Research Group survey.
E. Rose (NAU) 7 November 1985.
(In fact this is incorrect due to poor photo - chimney survives)
 describes as important early example of building where animal and human habitation combined in one.
Probably an outbuilding of vanished hall and as such it is Listed II*.
E. Rose (NAU) 27 June 1986.
Correspondence, (S3) and (S4) in file.
2004. Soakaway dug to east of house, without archaeological supervision despite planning condition.
 reports 2m of clay beneath concrete yard surface, no trace of features, no finds.
E. Rose (NLA) 14 September 2004.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: SS 2-20. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Photograph: Photographs of Tudor House, Sustead. Black & white. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2001. [Sale advertisement for Hall Farm]. 23 October. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry Unknown. |
|<S3>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. Old barn and new shopping mall win awards. 21 October. |
|13240||Related to: Site of medieval Sustead Hall (Monument)|
Find out more...