Record Details

NHER Number:12328
Type of record:Building
Name:Sustead Old Hall

Summary

The Old Hall is made from flint and brick, and is of 17th century date. The north facade collapsed in 1888 and was rebuilt, with the original iron clamps forming date 1663. A number of original brick-mullioned and transomed windows survive, and on the north front is a Sun fire insurance plaque and on the south a Royal Exchange one. The hall has a Tudor drain with a brick arch and brick floor, which has had a modern access hatch added. Various ruined building foundations have been found in the grounds, and these could be related to the medieval Sustead Hall (NHER 13240).

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1845 3694
Map Sheet:TG13NE
Parish:SUSTEAD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Flint and brick. North facade collapsed in 1888 and was rebuilt, with original iron clamps forming date 1663. At rear (south) is an original brick-mullioned and transomed window, double under one hoodmould, also an original smaller window, and similar ones in east wall. Elaborate carved staircase inside, and there is said to be original panelling (not seen). On north front a Sun fire insurance plaque and on south a Royal Exchange one.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 16 March 1977.

Owner says some time ago he uncovered a Tudor drain.
Print shown at Repton exhibition at University of East Anglia in 1982 of 'Sustead Old Hall' depicted building with three shaped gables in facade. Slides shown under same name depicted above building. Presumably therefore the print shows this building before collapse of facade; date of 1663 would fit such gables.
E. Rose (NAU) 25 October 1982.

1:10,000 OS map confirms this building now known as the Old Hall.
Drain mentioned rediscovered by new owners 1992. Stated to have brick arch and brick floor, large enough to crawl through, cut about by recent pipes. Inspection hatch made to give future access.
E. Rose (NLA) 26 June 1992.

Drain dimensions: Width 0.5m - brick floor. Height: 0.4m - flint vertical wall, brick arch (round) makes total height 0.7m.
Near house, depth of floor beneath ground level is 1.8m.
B. Cushion (NLA) February 1993.

Source [1] former occupant, states that she found 'ruins of a building' under the back lawn when digging. 'A metal detectorist called Jon who would not give his surname' identified these as Roman. This seems improbable. Were they part of the hall complex?
E. Rose (NLA) 24 February 1997.

Could these foundations have any connection with the 'lost' manor - see site 13240?
E. Rose (NLA) 28 July 1997.

Monument Types

  • BUILDING (Undated)
  • DRAIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.

Related records

13240Related to: Site of medieval Sustead Hall (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service