|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Bedingham Hall with part of moat|
The site of Bedingham Hall, a medieval moated hall demolished in the early 19th century. The moat is still visible, as are traces of the house platform. Two hollows in the area are probably the remains of the house's cellars. The site is now a Forestry Commision plantation.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 2937 9275|
|Parish:||BEDINGHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
(S1) states this hall existed pre 1697; was in decay 1808; demolished soon after 1829; fittings and material in many cottages in area..
Painting by Crome.
The 1839 tithe map shows only the south and east sides of moat, the house still standing, L-shaped (appearing as originally half-H-shaped facing west, with rear wing added) and curving drive on west.
In October 1973  noted this drive surviving as hollow way, and brick and tile along moat.
Visited E. Rose (NAU) 3 December 1981.
Moat is the same now as on tithe map, wet but overgrown. No trace of continuation but edge of house platform on east and west are visible. Two large depressions probably mark the sites of the late house cellars. No trace of hollow way now in pasture; some flat area among hummocks may mark garden features. No trace either of flanking cottages to north and south on tithe map, nor of any reused material in exterior of nearest extant houses..
Site to be planted by forestry commission.
E. Rose (NAU) 4 December 1981.
Planting has been carried out without NAU being informed. E. Rose (NAU) 1 March 1985.
 writes 16 June 1985 that this may be the site of Castles Manor, rather than Rookery Farm. "A painting" shows a Georgian façade.
See file for further details.
E. Rose (NAU) 20 June 1985.
5000 bricks are said to have been reused at the demolition to build Bedingham school - information from village millenium booklet.
E. Rose (NAU) . 18 Jan 2000.
South arm 7-8 metres wide water filled, covered in algae, fringed with trees, much dead wood in and around moat. East arm 2 metres wide resembles dry ditch. Depressions noted on NHER not visible under summer undergrowth.
H. Paterson, (A&E) 3 July 2000.
- GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOLLOW WAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE PLATFORM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOLLOW WAY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE PLATFORM (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MANOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MOAT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TM 2992A,B. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 29 SE 2 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Bedingham. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy, B. 1961. Some Norfolk Halls. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXII pp 163-208. p 169. |
Related records - none
Find out more...