Record Details

NHER Number:9787
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Roman temple within walled precinct with ancillary building of unknown function, possibly a priest’s residence

Summary

This is the site of a Romano-British temple that was originally identified from cropmarks on aerial photographs. Excavations here found the temple and temenos walls and dated the building to the 4th century AD. Systematic metal detecting has recovered a wide range of Roman and Iron Age metal finds and identified an Iron Age phase of activity on the site. Coins were deposited at the temple from around AD 60 to the 4th century. Two areas of occupation were identified separate from the temple. The cropmarks of probable Saxon grubenhauser previously recorded under this number are now under NHER 52256 and the boundaries of Roman and/or medieval to post medieval date to the north of the site are now under 52254.
Metal-detecting between 2003 and 2013 recovered further Roman coins, pottery and metalwork as well as Late Iron Age, medieval and post-medieval coins; Early Saxon brooches; medieval harness fittings and strap-ends; a medieval/post-medieval buckle, lead standing weight and vessel fragment and post-medieval tokens, a key, crotal bell, button and lead weight.

Images

  • The obverse of a Roman as coin from the site of a Roman temple in Caistor St Edmund.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service. NWHCM 1929.152.11:A
  • A Roman bone gaming piece from the site of a Roman temple at Caistor St Edmund  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service. NWHCM 1929.152.09:A
  • A Roman seal box lid found at the site of a Roman temple at Caistor St Edmund.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service. NWHCM 1929.152.X5:A
  • Post-medieval unidentified object from NHER 9787  © Norfolk County Council

Location

Grid Reference:Not displayed
Map Sheet:TG20SW
Parish:CAISTOR ST EDMUND, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

The cropmarks of probable Saxon grubenhauser previously recorded under this number are now under NHER 52256 and the boundaries of Roman and/or medieval to post medieval date to the north of the site are now under 52254.

1932. Casual Observation.
A section of a Roman wall was observed north of the hedge. The wall included tiles and was faced with flint.
Information from (S1).
H. Hamilton (NLA), 22 April 2008.

1933. Casual find. Context 1.
White tesserae, possibly carved from marble or clunch, were recovered.
Information from (S1).
H. Hamilton (NLA), 22 April 2008.

December 1949 to March 1950. Excavation. Context 2.
On 15 December 1949, a substantial mass of masonry was encountered during construction work. Excavations for NRC by Clarke and Larwood and later by Knocker and Hughes of the MOW exposed a mortared flint structure running for a length of 36.5 feet, faced with split flints at its north end and capped by two courses of floor tiles. The masonry measured 10 feet thick and 5 feet deep. Roman pottery recovered from the site includes Samian ware, mortarium, late rosette-impressed red-colour coated ware, and a pedestal base. Other finds include a coin of Vespasian, a fragment of a Niedermendig lava quern, and roof tiles. Workmen also reported curved walling to the east, now below 5-6 Old Church Close (S1).
See (S2-S6) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 22 April 2008.

January 1956. Excavation.
Further excavation of the foundation revealed in 1950 established that it was continued by a narrower wall to the north and south for a distance of almost 400 feet. Roman buildings had previously been identified east of this structure. The wall was interpreted as a precinct boundary, possibly a temple enclosure, and the foundation identified in 1950 was interpreted as the footings for a large gateway to the enclosure. Finds include pottery, coins, and a key'
See (S5) and (S6) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 22 April 2008.

January 1956. Casual Find. Context 3.
A flint wall and Romano-British pottery sherds were found 12 feet south of a ditch.
Information from (S1).
H. Hamilton (NLA), 22 April 2008.

1957. Excavation.
Partial excavation of the temple structure recorded the cella wall, a paved portico, and a veranda with an external wall. Clunch tesserae were recovered inside the cella and red brick tesserae were found in the veranda. Painted wall plaster was also observed. Finds included three 3rd to 4th century coins, a bronze ear scoop, and part of a hinged bronze mirror.
See (S6), (S7), and (S8) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 22 April 2008.

1957. Casual Finds.
A 3rd century radiate was recovered from context 8, and a denarius of Geta was found at context 16.
Information from (S1).
H. Hamilton (NLA), 22 April 2008.

1958. Casual finds. Contexts 18-25.
Brick, tile and mortared flint were recovered as well as Roman pottery, tile, tegulae and tesserae.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 22 April 2008.

1958. Casual finds. Context 8.
A 3rd century Roman coin was recovered.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 22 April 2008.

1961. Casual finds. Context 16.
A 3rd century Roman coin was recovered.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 22 April 2008.

1962. Casual find. Context 16.
A late 1st or early 2nd century commemorative coin of Constantine was found.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 22 April 2008.

Before 1971. Casual find. Context 15.
A Neolithic scraper and several large waste flint flakes were found.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 22 April 2008.

1971. Surface find. Context 13.
A block of stone was found on surface of the field, close to the temple site.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 22 April 2008.

1971. Casual find. Context 1.
Roman pottery sherds including two sherds of Samian, colour-coated red ware, a grey ware rim, and a piece of a fibrous variety of gypsum were recovered.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 22 April 2008.

1977. Metal detecting. Context 1.
A small circular seal box and several Roman coins were recovered.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 22 April 2008.

July 1977 and June 1978. Aerial Photograph. Contexts 4 and 5.
Photographs reveal evidence of rectangular buildings with substantial foundations at TG 2399 0395, to the northeast of the temple site, as well as a wall with an extramural ditch enclosing the area to the north and east to the limits of the present field. On the east side there is evidence of two ditches or walls or of recut/rebuild and a possible entrance.
D. Edwards (NAU), 14 August 1980.

September 1977. Metal detecting. Context 1.
25 Roman bronze coins, ranging from Vespasian to Hadrian, were found in the southwest corner of the field surrounding the temple. These may represent a ploughed out hoard.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 22 April 2008.

December 1977. Metal detecting. Context 1.
An Iceni pattern-horse coin was recovered along with several silver and copper alloy Roman coins and a Roman bronze trumpet brooch.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 22 April 2008.

1978. Metal detecting. Context 10.
A fragment of a bronze hook and eye bracelet, the head of a spindly bronze trumpet brooch, and 41 Roman coins were recovered.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 22 April 2008.

Spring 1979. Metal detecting. [formerly recorded under NHER 15082]
A fragment of an early Saxon brooch was recovered from the west side of Cantley Hill wood along with Romano-British course ware and black-burnished ware pottery sherds, a Roman pin, other brooch fragments, 38 Roman coins, four medieval pottery sherds including a fragment of green-glazed Grimston ware, and a silver penny of Edward I.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 01 May 2008.

August 1979. Metal detecting. [formerly recorded under NHER 15082]
Further detecting along the west side of Cantley Hill wood recovered bronze and lead waste, decorated bronze moulding, a potboiler, a flint knife, Roman pottery, Roman coins, and a glass fragment.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 01 May 2008.

Summer 1979. Metal detecting. [formerly recorded under NHER 15082]
Various Roman coins, a Roman silver finger ring, a fragment of a fibula, a fragment of a glass vessel, a medieval silver coin and a late medieval sheep bell were recovered.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 01 May 2008.

September 1979. Metal detecting.
A complete Early Saxon bronze disc brooch with red and blue enamel inlay was recovered.
See list in file and (S9).
H. Hamilton (NLA), 22 April 2008.

September 1979. Metal detecting. [formerly recorded under NHER 15082]
A Gallo-Belgic coin was recovered.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 01 May 2008.

1979. Metal detecting. [formerly recorded under NHER 15082]
A Roman bronze ear ring with three empty circular settings was recovered.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 01 May 2008.

1979. Metal detecting. [formerly recorded under NHER 15082]
17 Roman coins were recovered along with a medieval cauldron foot, a buckle tongue likely of medieval date, an 18th century bale seal, and three Neolithic flint flakes. 6 additional coins were also recovered from this location.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 01 May 2008.

1979?. Metal detecting. [formerly recorded under NHER 15082]
8 Roman coins, Roman pottery, a 1st-2nd century trumpet brooch, a miniature iron knife of possible Early Saxon date, one sherd of late medieval pottery, and various post medieval finds including coins, a lead coin weight, an 18th century shoe buckle, a sheep's beel, a chain and bar from a pocket watch, and part of a bronze clock hand were recovered along with a rough Neolithic double-platform core and two Neolithic flakes.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 01 May 2008.

July 1980. Aerial Photography.
A good cropmark of the temple with internal divisions is visible as well as the rectangular buildings, walls and ditches identified on 1977 and 1978 photographs.
E. Rose (NAU), 14 August 1980.

1980. Aerial Photography. Context 26.
Four square or rectangular features are visible as light patches on 1980 NAU aerial photographs, caused by earlier crop maturity over subsoil features. They are also visible as dark, positive cropmarks in several St. Joseph aerial photographs. The features are located in a north-south linear alignment just north of Caistor Lane (outside the temenos wall), and a circular feature which is likely a pit is present between them. A fifth feature and another possible pit are visible to the west. These have been tentatively interpreted as possible sunken featured buildings.
See (S13) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 01 May 2008.

11 March 1984. Site Visit.
Large quantities of pottery and building materials are visible on the plough soil and the slightly raised area of the temple is discoloured by mortar lifted by ploughing. The presence of a large lump of flints with mortar on the surface of the field indicates that the walls are being truncated by ploughing activity. Large flints, tile and brick (including imbrices), large red fired tesserae and small white chalk tesserae, colour-coated and Samian pottery, and post medieval pottery were observed.
The site of the Roman building identified in aerial photographs was also visible on the surface as areas of yellow-brown mortar. Tile and brick including imbrices and possible combed box tile, large flints, bone, oysters, and many large red fired clay tesserae were observed on the surface of the field as well as grey wares, self-coloured Roman pottery, and post medieval pottery.
See (S10) for additional details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 22 April 2008.

11 March 1984. Fieldwalking. Context 5.
Fieldwalking of the site of the rectangular Roman building previously identified in aerial photographs recovered 85.5kg of building material including tegulae, imbrices, brick and tile, and 569 tesserae. A possible hypocaust is indicated by signs of heating or sooting on brick and tile fragments and one possible flue tile. Other finds included 34 sherds of Roman pottery, a fragment of a Kimmeridge shale armlet, and post medieval and modern pottery, glass, pins, clay pipe fragments and nails, oyster shell and animal bone.
See (S11) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 22 April 2008.

Spring 1984. Metal detecting. [formerly recorded under NHER 15082]
A Saxon copper alloy plate with a style I animal ornament, a fragment from the foot of a Saxon cruciform brooch, and a Roman coin were recovered in the northwest part of the wood.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 01 May 2008.

17 June 1984. Excavation. Context 4.
A trench was excavated in order to locate the western temenos wall previously traced in 1956. The wall was constructed with irregular courses of large flint nodules with occasional chalk blocks and measured 75cm wide, surviving to a height of 46cm. A quantity of broken tile was recovered from the base of the plough soil, level with the top of the wall, suggesting that the superstructure may have been robbed out to ground level in antiquity. No foundation trench was observed.
See (S6) and (S12).
H. Hamilton (NLA), 01 May 2008.

August 1984. Metal detecting. [formerly recorded under NHER 15082]
A silver Iceni coin was recovered.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 01 May 2008.

Winter 1984-1985. Metal detecting. [formerly recorded under NHER 15082]
Roman coins, a Gallo-Belgic E gold stater, an undated copper alloy horse harness pendant, two Roman bronze pins, and a Roman strap mount were recovered.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 01 May 2008.

August-September 1985. Metal detecting. Context 27.
Iron Age and Roman coins and 1st-2nd century Roman brooches were recovered.
See details in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 01 May 2008.

Autumn 1985. Metal detecting. [formerly recorded under NHER 15082]
Roman coins, pin, buckle plate, and a possible heart-shaped pendant were recovered.
See details in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 01 May 2008.

Winter 1985-1986. Metal detecting. Police House field (formerly NHER 15082).
A hinged Colchester derivative brooch, part of a Saxon brooch, and three Roman coins were recovered.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 01 May 2008.

Winter 1985-1986. Metal detecting.
A detailed survey of the entire site yielded Roman coins and brooches and Iron Age coins along with Roman harness decoration including an enamelled stud, a balance arm, tweezers, a bowl foot, and a seal box lid.
See (S14) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 01 May 2008.

1986.
Former site NHER 15082 was incorporated into this site.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 March 1986.

June 1989. NAU Aerial Photography.
The area of the temple was surveyed.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 01 May 2008.

February 1990. Fieldwalking by the Young Archaeologists' Club.
Systematic fieldwalking in the southwest corner of the field recovered Roman sherds, tile and tesserae as well as post medieval clay pipe fragments.
See list and plan in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 01 May 2008.

October-November 1995. Metal detecting.
Two Roman brooches and a bronze Roman bead were recovered.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 01 May 2008.

November-December 1995. Metal detecting.
Two Roman coins were found.
See list in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 01 May 2008.

1997. Fieldwalking by NAHRG.
Roman and medieval sherds and tile were found.
E. Rose (NLA), 4 December 1997

November 1999. Visit.
Area of temple showing lighter coloured soil and slight rise. Visit to discuss the possibility of arable reversion under stewardship.
H. Paterson (A&E), 23 November 1999.

2 July 1996. NLA air photography.
Cropmarks of a series of rectilinear enclosures and a possible trackway leading to the south, towards the Roman temple site. These features possibly relate to the same period.
See (S15) for further details.
S. Massey (NLA), 26 July 2001.

2002.
Square enclosures (NHER 9794 and 9589) suggested as Roman, and associated with the postulated cadastre and other sites.
See draft of paper in file for NHER 9794.
D. Gurney (NLA), 2 April 2002.

September 2003. Site visit.
A gate into field west of Old Church Close has been constructed. One pyster valve and one sherd of Roman grey ware were found by the gate.
See list in file.
D. Gurney (NLA), 16 September 2003.

October to December 2006. Metal detecting.
20 Roman coins were recovered along with Roman metal objects including a fragment of a flagon handle, a drop handle from a vessel, and a possible mirror fragment, medieval strap ends, and an undated finger ring.
See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 8 January 2007.

December 2006 - January 2007. Metal detecting.
9 Roman and 1 medieval coins.
Roman, Early Saxon, medieval and post medieval metal objects.
Early Saxon great square-headed brooch fragment previously recorded under NHER 29994 is from this site.
See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 2 February 2007.

January 2007. Metal detecting.
Roman sherds, sixteen Roman coins, a Roman brooch, an Early Saxon brooch, a medieval strap end, and one medieval and one post medieval coin.
Roman, Early Saxon and medieval metal objects.
See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 13 March 2007.

October 18, 19 & 21 2007. Metal detecting.
12 Romano-British coins, a Roman brooch, a Roman hairpin, an Early Saxon brooch, a medieval harness fitting, a post medieval key, and a post medieval crotal bell were recovered.
See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 2 January 2008.

24 July 2009. Metal detecting.
Roman sherds & disc brooch,
See list in file.
A. Rogerson, (NLA), 1 September 2009.

March 2009. Norfolk NMP.
The cropmarks of temple complex, including the temple, ancillary building and temenos boundary, are visible on aerial photographs (S16-S21) to the northwest of the Caistor Roman temple (NHER 9787). The mapping of the main temple building is broadly consistent with the plan produced by the past excavations (S6), albeit a slightly different positioning and orientation, however the aerial photographs have revealed significant new evidence for the temenos itself and ancillary building. The cropmarks of probable Saxon grubenhauser previously recorded under this number are now under NHER 52256 and the boundaries of Roman and/or medieval to post medieval date to the north of the site are now under 52254.
The temenos is centred on TG 2396 0392 and would appear to have measured 175m by 155m and is defined by a broad bank and ditch boundary. Although it is possible the parchmark of the possible boundary bank is in places actually the remains of the metalled and compacted road that was recorded running around the temenos during the excavations (S6). The western wall of the temenos however would appear to be relatively narrow and well defined (S17), consistent with the plan of the wall as revealed during the excavations. The parched and slightly irregular linear feature to the south may represent the southern wall or embankment of the temenos (S16, S20). The line of the feature does broadly correlate with a scatter of stones observed in the field in 1985. Excavations in 1986 located a flint ridge, interpreted as the base of the wall foundations, just to the south of this area (S6). It is possible that the feature excavated relates to the parched wall-like feature mapped to the east or it may relate to an extension of the broader linear feature that is not detectable on the aerial photographs. An alternative interpretation could be that the broader feature is in fact a road or path than runs to the south of the temple complex, with the actual temenos wall being underneath the modern road. This roadway may be an extension of the group of roads identified on the aerial photographs to the west (NHER 52257), which appear to form an irregular network of roads linking the Roman town to the southwest with the temple complex. A further extension of this road to the east of the temple has been recorded under NHER 9862.
At TG 2402 0395 is the remains of a substantial masonry structure, measuring 33m by 13m, known from the aerial photographs and a dense surface scatter of building material, including mortar, roof tiles and red brick tesserae recorded for this area of the site. This structure has previously been interpreted as a guest house, priest’s or custodian’s residence or a bath house, although this was considered the least likely. However the aerial photographs would suggest that several of the rooms or chambers have significantly sunken floors, perhaps suggesting a chain of plunge pools or similar features. Although it is not clear how a water supply could have been maintained, the aerial photographs reveal no obvious evidence of any channels or leats. It is possible that the sunken appearance relates to the robbing of floor surfaces or perhaps cavities remaining after the removal of any under floor heating or hypocaust system. It is interesting to note that this ancillary building follows a different alignment to the temple structure itself.
Alongside the eastern temenos boundary, and a possible entrance into the site, at TG 2404 0390 is another possible structure suggested by an L-shaped parchmark. This follows the same alignment as the main temple structure. A possible spread wall material or bank (defined by an extent of area centred on TG 2395 0392) may be visible to the east of the modern boundary, although the aerial photograph evidence is inconclusive and this may be a build up of material alongside the modern property and field boundary. It is potentially interesting to note that this possible boundary follows the same alignment of the ancillary building. Fragments of ditches and possible masonry and/or banks are visible on aerial photographs within the temple complex, although little interpretation can be derived from them.
S. Horlock (NMP), 25 March 2009.

26 April 2011.
May Gurney for Anglian Water excavated three small holes along the south edge of the temple field to repair leaks in the water main. All in disturbed ground, so no deposits or finds recorded.
D. Gurney (HES), 9 May 2011.

October-November 2011. Metal-detecting.
Thirteen Roman coins and four post-medieval tokens, medieval, medieval/post-medieval and post-medieval metal objects.
See lists in file.
S. Ashley (HES), 29 November 2011.

November-December 2012. Metal-detecting. [1].
One Late Iron Age coin.
Five Roman coins and a rotary key.
One medieval coin and a buckle frame.
Post-medieval unidentified object and a strap fitting.
Information from PAS import.
A. Beckham (HES), 3 January 2013.

January-March 2013. Metal-detecting. [2].
11 Roman coins, 1 pottery sherd and an unidentified copper alloy object.
1 post-medieval token.
Information from PAS import.
A. Beckham (HES), 4 April 2013.

September 2013. Metal-detecting. [3].
Medieval/post-medieval lead standing weight.
Information from PAS import.
A. Beckham (HES), 11 November 2013.

Monument Types

  • RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
  • TRACKWAY (Unknown date)
  • FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • FINDSPOT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
  • BATH HOUSE? (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • BUILDING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • ENCLOSURE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • HOUSE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • PRECINCT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • ROAD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • TEMPLE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • TRACKWAY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • VILLA? (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • WALL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
  • SETTLEMENT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • FINGER RING (Unknown date)
  • OYSTER SHELL (Unknown date)
  • FLAKE (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • KNIFE (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • POT BOILER (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • CORE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • FLAKE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • KNIFE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • SCRAPER (TOOL) (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • COIN (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
  • COIN (Late Iron Age - 62 BC to 62 BC)
  • COIN (Late Iron Age - 60 BC to 40 BC)
  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • ARMLET (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
  • BALANCE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • BEAD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • BRACELET (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • BRICK (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 65 AD)
  • BUCKLE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • EAR RING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FINGER RING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FLAGON (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FLUE TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FURNITURE FITTING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • HAIR PIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • HARNESS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • HARNESS MOUNT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • KEY (LOCKING) (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • MIRROR (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • PAINTED PLASTER (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • PENDANT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • PIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • QUERN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • SEAL BOX (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • STUD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • TESSERA (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • TOILET ARTICLE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • TWEEZERS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • VESSEL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • VESSEL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • WORKED OBJECT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • BROOCH (Roman - 55 AD to 80 AD)
  • POT (Roman - 75 AD to 100 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 125 AD to 138 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 125 AD to 217 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 138 AD to 161 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 138 AD to 192 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 154 AD to 155 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 260 AD to 268 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 260 AD to 286 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 268 AD to 270 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 269 AD to 271 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 269 AD to 274 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 270 AD to 270 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 271 AD to 280 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 275 AD to 280 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 275 AD to 286 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 275 AD to 402 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 286 AD to 293 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 310 AD to 312 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 326 AD to 326 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 330 AD to 335 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 330 AD to 337 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 334 AD to 348 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 335 AD to 341 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 335 AD to 348 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 335 AD to 348 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 337 AD to 341 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 337 AD to 348 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 341 AD to 348 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 364 AD to 378 AD)
  • BROOCH (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
  • BROOCH (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
  • KNIFE (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
  • MINIATURE OBJECT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
  • Pyramid Mount (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
  • BELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BUCKLE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CAULDRON (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HARNESS FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HARNESS PENDANT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • STRAP END (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • VESSEL (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WEIGHT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1200 AD to 1600 AD)
  • BUCKLE (Medieval - 1300 AD to 1400 AD)
  • COIN (Medieval - 1413 AD to 1422 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1500 AD to 1600 AD)
  • BUCKLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BUTTON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CROTAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • DRESS FASTENER (DRESS) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • KEY (LOCKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • PIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SEAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WEIGHT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STRAP FITTING (Post Medieval - 1550 AD to 1650 AD)
  • CROTAL (Post Medieval - 1600 AD to 1800 AD)
  • TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1650 AD to 1670 AD)
  • TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1650 AD to 1670 AD)
  • TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1653 AD to 1653 AD)
  • TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1657 AD to 1657 AD)
  • TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1664 AD to 1664 AD)

Protected Status

  • SHINE
  • Scheduled Monument

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: See file.
---Article in Serial: Clarke, R. R. 1957. Norfolk Research Committee Excavations 1956. Norfolk Research Committee Bulletin. Series 1 No 9 (for 1956) p 1.
---Photograph: NLA. Finds Photograph.
---Photograph: I & RS. Digital finds image.
---Unpublished Document: Peterson, J.. 2002. Iron Age and Roman square enclosures near Venta Icenorum: Roman changes in a prehistoric ritual landscape.
---Photograph: Wicks, D.. 1983. HES Film EAA. Caister St Edmunds Small Finds.. Print and negatives. Frames 1-4.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Neolithic. Caister St Edmund.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Caister-By-Norwich [20].
---Article in Serial: 1958. Norfolk Research Committee Excavations 1957. Norfolk Research Committee Bulletin. Series 1 No 10 (for 1957) p 1.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Archive: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Clarke, R.. 1950. Eastern Daily Press. 14 April.
<S3>Serial: 1950. Norfolk Research Committee Bulletin. Series 1 No 2 (for 1949).
<S4>Article in Serial: 1951. Journal of Roman Studies. Vol XLI, p 132. p. 132.
<S5>Article in Serial: Clarke, R. R. 1957. Archaeological Discoveries in Norfolk 1949-54. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXI pp 395-416. pp 404-405.
<S6>Article in Monograph: Gurney, D. 1986. A Romano-Celtic Temple Site at Caistor St. Edmund. Excavations at Thornham, Warham, Wighton and Caistor St. Edmund, Norfolk. Gregory, T. and Gurney, D.. EAA No 30 pp 37-54.
<S7>Newspaper Article: Clarke, R.. 1957. Eastern Daily Press. 7 January.
<S8>Article in Serial: 1958. Journal of Roman Studies. Vol XLVIII. p. 142.
<S10>Unpublished Document: Gurney, D.. 1984. Report on the Condition of the Romano-Celtic Temple, Old Church Close, Caistor St Edmund, Norfolk, March 11 1984..
<S11>Unpublished Document: Gurney, D.. 1984. Report on fieldwalking, Caistor St Edmund, Norfolk, March 11th 1984..
<S12>Unpublished Document: Gurney, D. (NAU). 1984. Excavations at Old Church Close, Caistor St Edmund, Norfolk June 17th 1984..
<S13>Unpublished Document: Gurney, D.. 1985. Aerial photograph description and interpretation, Caistor St. Edmund.
<S14>Article in Serial: Gregory, T. 1991. Metal-Detecting on a Scheduled Ancient Monument. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLI Pt II pp 186-196.
<S15>Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TG 2304ABQ - ABR, ABT.
<S16>Oblique Aerial Photograph: CUCAP. 1960. CUCAP (ABL66) 22-JUN-1960.
<S17>Oblique Aerial Photograph: CUCAP. 1976. NHER TG 2303AKR (CUCAP BXH42) 15-JUN-1976.
<S18>Oblique Aerial Photograph: CUCAP. 1976. CUCAP (BYA64) 24-JUN-1976.
<S19>Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1980. NHER TG 2303ADE-J (NLA 93/APR8-12) 12-JUL-1980.
<S20>Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1989. NHER TG 2303AA-AP (NLA 223/DHV10-14, DHW1-8) 15-JUN-1989.
<S21>Vertical Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1992. OS/92336 143-5 11-JUN-1992 (NMR).
<S22>Illustration: White, S.. 1984. Drawing of an Early saxon cruciform brooch foot plate fragment.. Film. 2:1.
<S23>Illustration: White, S.. 1984. Drawing of an Early Saxon copper alloy object.. Card. 2:1.
<S24>Illustration: Unknown. 1985. Drawing of a Romano British flat tile fragment.. Paper. 2:1.
<S25>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1995. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1994. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt II pp 230-239. p 232.
<S26>Illustration: Gibbons, J.. 2008. Drawing of a possible Early Saxon silver glit square headed brooch fragment.. Film. 2:1.

Related records

37008Part of: Multi-period finds (Find Spot)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service