Record Details

NHER Number:9616
Type of record:Building
Name:Gun Hill Farmhouse (formerly Marsh Farm House)

Summary

A farmhouse dating to about 1680, although there are suggestions that it either updated an earlier existing building or was made using material from one elsewhere.
The building was much altered in the 19th and 20th centuries, but was sympathetically restored in 1985 using imported medieval beams and other old materials.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 848 443
Map Sheet:TF84SW
Parish:BURNHAM OVERY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Formerly Marsh Farm House. Now Gun Hill Farmhouse.

6 January 1986. Visited.
Dates to about 1680, with medieval stone quoins and clunch in places suggesting older house (post Dissolution) incorporated.
Much altered in about 1830 but this work largely removed in about 1977 when house much 'modernised'. More sympathetic restoration 1985-6, reusing Late medieval carved beams and 17th century fireplace from elsewhere.
See (S1) for state in 1976, and (S2) 1986, in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 6 January 1986.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1273797.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 234.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Royal Commission for Historic Monuments. 1976. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Unpublished Document: E. Rose. 1985. Building Report.. Building Report. 6 January.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service