Record Details

NHER Number:9517
Type of record:Building
Name:St Mary's Church, East Carleton

Summary

A medieval parish church dating mainly from the 13th and 14th centuries. The church was restored, and the tower rebuilt, in 1895. St Mary's shares a churchyard with St Peter's, NHER 9502, which is now ruined.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1798 0206
Map Sheet:TG10SE
Parish:EAST CARLETON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Tower rebuilt and heightened, and church restored, 1895.
However old material visible in tower base, and is brick niche to west original?
Separate vice also has old work.
Decorated south door remains and parts of north door.
2 Early English lancets in north wall, and intersected east window of north aisle also original.
Victorian lancet on south.
Interior inaccessible at time of visit; through windows a remade sedillia (single) and piscina and 18th to 19th century memorials seen.
Chalice, Norwich 1567; flagon, London 1731.
See (S1).
Visited E. Rose (NAU) 9 November 1978.

22 January 1997.
Southeast of chancel, spoil from shallow electricity cable trench.
1 basal sherd Pingsdorf-type.
Identified by W. Milligan (NCM).
Nothing else of interest noted.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 17 September 1997.

In the south porch is a War Memorial of 1915.
E. Rose (NLA) October 1998.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG1702 C.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service