Record Details

NHER Number:8988
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Wayland Union Workhouse, Rockland All Saints

Summary

Wayland Union Workhouse was designed by William Thorold and constructed sometime after 1835 to house up to 250 inmates. However, by 1904 the workhouse was straining to accommodate its inmates and maintain their classification and by 1907 the condition of the building had severely deteriorated. This led to a proposal to build a new Poor Law Infirmary at Attleborough. Today little remains of the building apart from two private houses built out of ort of the front of the old workhouse building.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 9928 9698
Map Sheet:TL99NE
Parish:ROCKLANDS, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Wayland Union Workhouse was designed by William Thorold and constructed sometime after 1835. Described in Kellys Directory as a ‘handsome and commodious building,’ it could house up to 250 inmates. However, by 1904 the workhouse was straining to accommodate its inmates and maintain their classification and by 1907 the condition of the building had severely deteriorated. This led to a proposal to build a new Poor Law Infirmary at Attleborough. Today little remains of the building apart from two private houses built out of ort of the front of the old workhouse building.
Information from Gressenhall Farm and Workhouse Museum.
H. Hamilton (HES), 28 May 2014.

[1] states that he has often dug up sovereigns in the hedges around the workhouse, having been left there by tramps seeking free accomodation overnight and who have presumably forgotten the hiding place or else never come out again.
E. Rose (NLA), 18 October 2001.

Monument Types

  • WORKHOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1835 AD to 1907 AD?)

Associated Finds

  • COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources - none

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service