|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Post medieval tower corn windmill|
A post mill is marked in this position on Faden's map of Norfolk published in 1797. This was replaced by a tower mill in 1812. The tarred brick four storey tower has an aluminium roof and still contained much of the machinery in 1986 when it was being used as a diesel powered mill.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3396 1947|
|Parish:||NEATISHEAD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Windmill (Ordnance Survey).
Postmill shown on (S1). Replaced by tower mill before 1817. Last turned by wind 1916.
Information from .
E. Rose (NAU), 23 March 1982.
(S2) describes as built 1812. Tarred brick tower, aluminium roof, four storeys, tapering. Doors east and west. Alternating windows on cardinal points. Two pairs cross trees and great spur wheel survive, sack meal chutes, hoppers, sack hoist chain and belt drives. Upright shaft on first floor, second and third empty. Curb track intact. Still in use as diesel powered mill.
E. Rose (NAU), 3 November 1986.
- (Former Type) POST MILL (Post Medieval - 1797 AD to 1812 AD)
- TOWER MILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1812 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Website: Neville, J.. 2004. http://www.norfolkmills.co.uk/Windmills/neatishead-towermill.html. |
|---||Photograph: 1946. Photograph of Neatishead tower corn windmill, Neatishead. Black & white. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|MNO6419||Related to: Neatishead Mill Horning Road NEATISHEAD (Revoked)|
Find out more...