|Type of record:||Monument|
The burnt-out remains of an 19th century three storey brick watermill on the North Walsham and Dilham canal, probably on the site of an earlier mill. Two steam engines were later housed in a separate corrugated iron building, and the mill was eventually powered by electricity. Closed down in the late 1960s, the mill was gutted by fire in 1975 and has not been restored or redeveloped.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3154 2739|
|Parish:||HONING, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Destroyed by fire in the 1970s.
Marked on (S1) as both water and windmill.
See NHER 17914.
E. Rose (NAU), 7 November 1979.
February 1981. Visited.
Burnt out shell of red brick watermill remains, with traces of sackhoist and odd pieces of machinery hanging out.
Three storeys, five bays on main façade.
Mill stream has been filled in.
E. Rose (NAU), 4 February 1981.
Formerly (1946) had large corrugated iron section, larger than the brick building and housing two steam engines.
E. Rose (NAU), 14 April 1982.
Press cuttings (S2) and (S3) in file.
Beginning of demolition of Briggate mill. The mill was closed in 1969 and has been in a state of decline when in caught fire in 1975.
See (S5) for more details.
M Langham-Lopez (HES), 05 November 2012.
- ENGINE HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WATERCOURSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. Mill land inquiry too far away, say campaigners. 15 April. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. Residents fight on despite village green bid failure. 30 October. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2011. New fears over future of hamlet's ruined mill. 24 August. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. Legal bid fails to find owner of derelict mill. 5 July. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1975. Insurance fraud probe: 8 charged. 16 September. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1977. Briggate Mill. 10 January. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. Demolition of mill begins. 31 October. |
Related records - none
Find out more...