Record Details

NHER Number:8071
Type of record:Building
Name:Heggat Hall and outbuildings

Summary

This knapped flint and red brick manor house was built in the 17th century in neo-Elizabethan style and was extended and rebuilt in 1841. The front of the building has a three storey porch . Inside is a panelled dining room with the arms of George Ward of Brooke of 1663 over the fireplace. The barn and stables date to the 18th century but were built around an earlier core. Outbuildings adjoining the hall are 17th century and have been converted into a flat and offices.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2716 1829
Map Sheet:TG21NE
Parish:HORSTEAD WITH STANNINGHALL, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

26 May 1983. Visit.
(S1) describes as an Elizabethan house of around 1590 with crowstep gables, pediments, and porch with chambers over. Much altered after 1832. The present building on the exterior is totally 19th century; the porch, stepped gables etc are all of this date, as are the flint walls with brick diaperwork. Unless the original work is on the rear side, not seen because of absence of owner, it would appear the 19th century alterations amounted to a complete refacing at least. However the farm manager states that the 'interior is much older' and that the small park around has trees several centuries old.
E. Rose (NAU), 26 May 1983.

(S2) says refacing is of 1841. Has pilastered dining room, good staircase overmantle with arms of Ward of Brooke 1663 (quoted on (S2) but apparently not seen)
E. Rose (NLA).

2002. Visit.
The rear of the building is indeed coated like the front. The rear courtyard has a barn, partly externally 1841, partly of brick with a honeycomb vent. There is also a small outbuilding of 17th century date, see (S3) in file. In the courtyard are carved stone fragments including a coat of arms, and a huge lump of slag, collected from various unrecorded parts of the Gurney estates.
E. Rose (NLA), 25 January 2002.

2005.
Proposed alterations.
See planning statement (S4) for details.
P. Watkins (HES), 3 March 2015.

Monument Types

  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Unknown date)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG2718 L,M.
---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 569.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Horstead with Stanninghall.
<S1>Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy, B. 1961. Some Norfolk Halls. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXII pp 163-208. p 186.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1050853.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2002. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S4>Unpublished Document: Purcell Miller Tritton. 2005. Heggatt Hall Planning Statement.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service