|Type of record:||Building|
The north to south range dates to 1620, was altered in the 19th century and shortened at the south end in the 1960s when a sundial was also reset. The east to west wing is 18th century with reset 17th century details and a 'witches window'. The northeast angle between the wings was infilled in the 19th century.
Images - none
May 1983. Visit.
(S1) states that this dates from around 1620, but in the previous paragraph states that the manorial courts were held here after the decay of the old hall before 1586, and that it was known as Hallbergh. There is obviously some confusion here. The house has a west façade of three bays, two storeys, with Dutch gables containing windows above the end bays. Façade knapped flint with the gables mentioned being of brick, and the windows set in vertical brick strips, also the central doorway which has rusticated pilasters and retains the original door. Victorian bay windows have been added in the ground floor, and all the windows have stone mullions and transoms of 19th century date, probably replacing wooden members. North gable wall of red brick, two bays two storeys attic windows in straight gable.
Remainder not seen owing to absence of owner. Main façade does seem early-mid 17th century and north gable, 18th century. This would be an unusual situation for an earlier manor, by river at foot of steep cliff, but suitable for a new house of 17th century date.
E. Rose (NAU), 26 May 1983.
(S2) gives a complicated account which should be consulted; basically it says the north to south range is of 1620, altered in the 19th century and shortened at the south end in 1960s, a sundial being reset. An east to west wing is 18th century with reset 17th century details and a 'witches window'. Northeast angle infilled in 19th century. Garden wall listed separately also grade II.
E. Rose (NLA), 14 February 2004.
The term 'witches window' is not found on any other listed building description in Britain and its origin cannot be found; it seems only to mean a small window by the stack, usually called a fire window. Broadland Council suggest that it was given to the listed building inspector by a local resident.
E. Rose (NLA), 28 February 2004.
Clitheroe Museum state that in Lancashire, witches windows are circular windows, so called because it was believed witches could not pass through circles. Possibly the listed building reviser came from up north.
E. Rose (NLA), 27 July 2004.
- GARDEN WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2003. Magical setting for house by the river. 2 May. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 569. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Horstead with Stanninghall. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy, B. 1961. Some Norfolk Halls. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXII pp 163-208. p 186. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1372976. |
|MNO6838||Related to: Garden wall, to north-east of Horstead House Mill Road (east) HORSTEAD (Revoked)|
Find out more...