Record Details

NHER Number:7563
Type of record:Building
Name:Abbot's Hall Farmhouse

Summary

This building dates to 1570 or 1610 and was extended in 1706. It was originally a moated hall. It stands on the site of Abbot Sampson's (of Bury St Edmunds) hall of 1190. Post medieval pottery has been found here.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2009 2862
Map Sheet:TG22NW
Parish:AYLSHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Site of abbot's residence of 1190. Present house of 1570 or 1610 extended 1706. Alternative theory that this is the site of Sexton's Hall manor house but (S1) confirms this is the abbot's manor site.

1983. Earthwork Survey.
Survey by NARG.
See report (S1) for plan and further details

Pre 1977.
Post medieval sherd and iron bound conglomerate found.
See brief notes in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 29 Janaury 1990.

Monument Types

  • MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MANOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • SHINE
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 22 NW 1 [2].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 369.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Aylsham.
<S1>Unpublished Report: Dollin, B. 1983. Aylsham. Abbot's Hall Farm. NARG Earthwork Survey Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service