|Type of record:||Monument|
A medieval moated site that survives as earthworks. Almost all of the moat remains, with fragments of an outer enclosure to the east. A late 16th century map shows a manor house in the centre of the moat with buildings and a pond inside the outer enclosure. The site was abandoned in 1816 when the occupants moved to Longham Hall (NHER 44625). Medieval pottery has been collected on the site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9302 1570|
|Parish:||LONGHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Moated site of former Longham Hall.
Surveyed by P. Wade-Martins.
Three medieval sherds found.
See plan in (S1). Moat now has lost its northwest corner. Outer enclosure to east. Late 16th century map shows the manor house in the centre with buildings including a dovecot, and a pond, in the outer enclosure.
Hall was demolished by the Coke family when the new one (NHER 44625) was constructed to north.
E. Rose (NAU).
Condition poor, interior thickly covered with nettles and overgrown with scrub and trees around moat sides.
H. Paterson (NAU), October 1992.
J. Allen (NLA), 2 January 2003.
The site was abandoned in 1816.
D. Robertson (NLA), 17 May 2006.
- DOVECOTE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1816 AD)
- MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF9315 E-G,K,L. |
|---||Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduling Report. |
|---||(No record type): Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Longham. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Wade-Martins, P. 1980. Fieldwork and Excavation on Village Sites in Launditch Hundred, Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 10. pp 33-39. |
Related records - none
Find out more...