Record Details

NHER Number:6915
Type of record:Building
Name:St Andrew's Church, Bacton

Summary

A rather isolated church, consisting of a west tower, nave, chancel and south porch. Construction is of flint, freestone and brick. The earliest visible part of the building is the stoup in the south nave doorway, which is of Norman date. The rest is mainly 14th century with a 15th century tower and a 15th or early 16th century south porch. There were also alterations and restorations in the 19th century, evidenced by finds from this period made during a programme of archaeological monitoring and recording in 2012.
Inside, there is a 14th century font and 16th century wall paintings. The churchyard has many interesting gravestones, including an Art Nouveau memorial dating to 1924.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 3358 3369
Map Sheet:TG33SW
Parish:BACTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Norman stoup.
Church mainly decorated (Indulgence granted 1393) with Perpendicular tower and alterations (15th century bequests).
Exceptionally fine font and piscina.
Wallpainting dating to about 1600.
In graveyard, exceptionally fine Art Nouveau memorial 1924 (now listed Grade II and recorded as NHER 60604).
See (S3) in file, also accounts for 1857 restoration.
(S4) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 1 December 2001.

May 2012. Watching Brief.
A programme of archaeological monitoring and recording during the removal of the floor and pew platforms on the north side of the nave revealed levelling deposits for former surfaces of which one small remnant remained. Finds observed suggested a 19th century date, in accordance with the church's restoration in 1847.
See report (S5) for further details.
The archive associated with this work has been deposited with the Norwich Castle Museum (NWHCM : 2013.82).
E. Bales (HES), 27 August 2012. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 16 May 2019.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD to 2100 AD)
  • FLOOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1373817.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 373.
<S2>Article in Serial: Plunkett, G. A. F. 1979. Norfolk Church Screens - 1865 Survey. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVII Pt II pp 178-189. p 180.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2001. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S4>Photograph: Rose, E.. 2005. LMZ. 3-5.
<S5>Unpublished Contractor Report: Cope-Faulkner, P. 2012. Archaeological Monitoring and Recording at St Andrew's Church, Bacton, Norfolk. Archaeological Project Services. 39/12.

Related records

60604Parent of: Montgomery Memorial, St Andrew's Churchyard (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service