Record Details

NHER Number:6172
Type of record:Building
Name:SS Andrew and Mary's Church, Langham

Summary

A medieval parish church, dating mainly to the 14th century. The church contains a 13th century octagonal font that bears an interesting grafitto - 'Alice Nettleton baptised the 14th day of April 1692'. The north window was designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones for Morris & Co. in 1894. Captain Marryat, best known for his classic novel 'The Children of the New Forest', lived in Langham and is buried in the churchyard.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0076 4123
Map Sheet:TG04SW
Parish:LANGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Former church of Great Bishop's or King's Langham, now parish church of Langham.
Contains ironbound conglomerate.
13th century font.
Otherwise all visible structure is 14th century Decorated core with 15th century Perpendicular exterior.
Rebuilt porch and vestry, post medieval.
Restoration 1868.
Unusual constructional details revealed 1989 may indicate uncompleted north aisle.
Interesting memorials; royal arms; 19th century stained glass.
See (S1) to (S5) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 1 November 1989.

March 1959. Listed, Grade I.
Parish Church. West tower, North porch, nave and clerestory, S aisle with S vestry chancel. Prominent W tower, flush work panelled base-course, sound holes and stair turret running above battlemented parapet, perpendicular S arcade C14, C15 tall tower arch and chancel arch. C13 Pirbeck marble font, smaller arcades to bowl, octagonal E window by King of Norwich, 1856 retardataire design and colouring; a N window by Sir Burne Jones executed Morris & Co, 1894.
West (tower) window by Kempe (1911). Wall tablet 1848 to Capt. Marryat, R.N.
Information from (S6).

The octagonal font bears an interesting grafitto - 'Alice Nettleton baptised the 14th day of April 1692'. The north window was designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones for Morris & Co. in 1894, and the west window was designed by Kempe in 1911. Captain Marryat, best known for his classic novel 'The Children of the New Forest', lived in Manor Cottage (now Langham Lodge), and is buried in the churchyard.
See (S7) for more details.
S. Spooner (NLA) 25 April 2006

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • Xbell frame (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG 0041/ C, F. G.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1902. Hundred of Holt. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol IX. pp 94-103.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 584.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1989. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Photograph: EZJ 30-33.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. Church chimes restored. 16 February.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. Church time for unity. 30 October.
<S5>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1978. Centuries-old arms given clean-up. 19 April.
<S6>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049495.
<S7>Publication: Linnell, C.L.S.. 1961. St Andrew and St Mary, Langham Episcopi.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service