Record Details

NHER Number:5981
Type of record:Find Spot
Name:Roman pottery sherds

Summary

In the early 20th century various sherds of Roman pottery were discovered at this location.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 9050 8855
Map Sheet:TL98NW
Parish:WRETHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

1907. Stray Find.
Roman sherd found by W. G. Clarke and R. R. Clarke (NCM) 46m (50yds) west of Langmere (site 7 - E. Rose (NAU)).
Noted in (S1).
Amongst a collection of material subsequently donated to Norwic Castle Museum (NWHCM : 1939.10).

1932. Excavation.
Some digging by G. Kingaby.
Produced several Roman pots shown to Prehistoric Society of East Anglia.
See drawings (S2) and (S3) and accompanying sherd descriptions in file - E. Rose (NAU)).
See also (S4).
Finds donated to Norwich Castle Museum (NWHCM : 1932.166).
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 3 November 2015.

28 November 1975.
Site now on heath of Nature Reserve.
A. J. Lawson (NAU).

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TL9088A, B, C..
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TL 98 NW 2 [2].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Wretham.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Publication: Clarke, W. G. 1925. In Breckland Wilds. First Edition. p 91.
<S2>Illustration: [Unknown]. ?1932. Drawings of Roman pottery sherds from Langmere. Tracing paper. 1:1.
<S3>Illustration: [Unknown]. ?1932. Drawings of Roman pottery sherds from Langmere.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. [unknown]. [unknown]. 30 November.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service