|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Peter's Church, West Lynn|
The church has its origins in the Norman period, but was substantially rebuilt during the 13th century. It has a 14th century west tower, 15th century alterations and a vestry dating from 1922. The church contains a medieval Seven Sacrament font and a brass of Adam Outlawe who died in 1503. He is depicted wearing clerical dress on the brass.
|Grid Reference:||TF 6120 1973|
|Parish:||KING’S LYNN, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|WEST LYNN, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Stated locally to have been moved westwards (how far?) in 14th century.
Windmill in churchyard on Dugdale's Map of Marshland.
E. Rose (NAU).
Fragment of large cannon found in churchyard 1967.
88cm (2' 11") long, apparent bore of 7.6cm (3"). Possibly indicates church was used as platform to bombard Lynn.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU).
9 July 1974.
'Ridge of stonework discovered about 1.2m (4') from east wall of church while grave being dug. By time reported to KLM stones had been removed into two piles. Large flint cobbles, few freestone fragments and medieval-type bricks. All coated with mortar and suggestive of rubble wall. Nave and tower of church are of brick, and this may be former east wall of old chancel gone by 18th century - chancel rebuilt in 19th (1934 (sic) according to (S2)) on old wall footings, but shorter in length.
See prints of church without chancel in KLM. Photos of stones.
E.M. James (KLM).
(S3) notes that the church has Norman origins, rebuilt 1270s, 14th century tower, rest mainly 15th century. Chancel rebuilt 1934, whole restored 1905. Ashlar west tower, brick nave, transepts and stone chancel. Slate roofs. 3-stage tower, externally of 4 stages. Diagonal buttresses to west, stepped to east. 3-light west window. Cusped petal tracery to square ringing chamber ventilation lights. 2-light belfry windows. Crenellated parapet with short spire. Nave with three 3-light Perpendicular windows north and south separated by stepped buttresses. Plain brick north porch. Gabled opposing vestry of 1922 in south porch location. Gabled transepts with diagonal buttresses and 4-light Perpendicular main windows. Bell-cote to nave east gable. Chancel has a Mansard roof. 4-light Perpendicular east window. INTERIOR. Triple-chamfered tower arch. Double-chamfered transept arches. Hollow and wave-moulded chancel arch with circular responds. Nave roof of alternating tie beam and hammer beam trusses. The crenellated ties have arched braces with pierced spandrels and moulded queen posts; hammer beams with carved figures of apostles. 2 tiers of moulded butt purlins and ridge piece. 7 Sacraments font; plain octagona stem; low relief carving on bowl, the eighth panel depicting Christ Enthroned. At east end of nave is a brass to Adam Outlawe; figure in clerical dress, 1503.
Information taken from (S3).
S. Spooner (NLA) 15 August 2006
- COMMEMORATIVE BRASS (1503, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COMMEMORATIVE BRASS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PARISH CHURCH (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD to 2050 AD)
- WALL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- VESTRY (1922, Modern - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)
- CANNON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in serial: Wood, R. 1999. The Chantry Certificates of Norfolk: Towards a Partial Reconstruction. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt II pp 287-306. |
|---||Leaflet: Snelling, J.H.. A short history and description of the church and parish of West Lynn, St Peter's.. |
|<S1>||Article in serial: 1968. Post Medieval Archaeology. Vol II, p 177. p 177. |
|<S2>||Serial: Pevsner, N.. The Buildings of England.. |
|<S3>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|57153||Parent of: West Lynn National School (Building)|
Find out more...