|Type of record:||Building|
A large red brick house built in 1885 in the Domestic Revival style for Lord Suffield. The lodge stands on the site of Manor Cottage, which was the home of Captain Marryat, who wrote the classic children's novel 'The Children of the New Forest' here.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0005 4159|
|Parish:||LANGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
May 1983. Listed, Grade II.
House dated 1885. Built for Lord Suffield, a promoter of the contemporary development of Cromer. Domestic Revival 'Queen Anne' style. Red brick with red tiled roofs. Two storey house with long service wing at East and mingle bay wing at west. Entrance front (North) of 8 bays. Brick plinth, first floor plat-band to 5 easterly bays. Ground floor 4 sash windows, plate glass lower but upper half with glazing bars. First floor 5 windows. Three East have with casement windows arranged to follow rise of staircase. White painted wooden eaves. Four large dormers with 3 light casements and plastered gables. Hipped roof, one off-centre and 2 eaves prominent stacks. Arched porch with datestone, elaborately moulded parapet with ball finials. Door with fan-light. To West, single storey gabled wing. Tripartite sash window with glazing bars. String and blank niche above on line with springing of gable. Return verandah.
Information from (S1).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 11 April 2006.
The lodge is built on the site of Manor Cottage, shown on (S2). This was the home of Captain Marryat, who wrote 'The Children of the New Forest' here. Marryat (who had a distinguished career in the Royal Navy) built a 'quarter deck' at the house, from which he could observe ships at sea.
See (S3) for more details.
S. Spooner (NLA) 26 April 2006
- HOUSE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1885 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 584. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1305633. |
|<S2>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. First edition six inch map. |
|<S3>||Publication: Linnell, C.L.S.. 1961. St Andrew and St Mary, Langham Episcopi. |
Related records - none
Find out more...