Record Details

NHER Number:4927
Type of record:Find Spot
Name:Roman, Late Saxon and medieval finds


Romano-British and medieval coins, Late Saxon harness fittings and medieval strap ends found during metal detecting.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 71 92
Map Sheet:TL79SW

Full description

Before 1971. Stray Find.
Found by [1]:
Medieval copper alloy strap end decorated with rocker arm zig zag ornament, slight point at base.
'Textile within'.
See polaroid (S1) and drawing (S2).
Identified by S. Margeson (NCM), 10 January 1992.
Information from (S3).
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 26 September 2018.

Before 9 May 2007. Metal detecting, site extended to whole field, previous findspot recorded [2].
2 Roman coins, Late Saxon and medieval metal objects and a Tealby penny.
See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 28 July 2007.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Unknown date)
  • FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • STRAP END (Undated)
  • STRAP FITTING (Undated)
  • TEXTILE (Undated)
  • COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • BRIDLE BIT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • HARNESS FITTING (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • STRAP END (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Photograph: NCC Find Identification and Recording Service. c. 1975-2000. HES Find Polaroid Collection. HES Find Polaroid Collection. polaroid. black and white.
<S2>Illustration: Milligan, W. 1971. Drawing of a medieval copper alloy strap end. Card. 1:1.
<S3>Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Feltwell.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service