|Type of record:||Building|
Pickenham Hall was built between 1902 and 1905 by Robert Weir Schultz, for the banker G. W. Taylor. The previous building was constructed in 1829 by Donthorne, and it is thought that two panels from this building depicting scenes from the Parthenon frieze can still be seen in the gardens.
The present large building is of red brick with a five bay east front, built in the Neo-Georgian style with large shaped gables of the Arts and Crafts style. The stables are also Neo-Georgian in style, and the Keeper's Lodge (NHER 56201)dates to a similar period and is also thought to have been built by Schultz. The Hall stands within an important Arts and Crafts period park and garden (NHER 30480).
In the past the Hall employed the majority of the Pickenham village, either as staff in the house or in managing the extensive shooting and farm lands. Today, although the village lands and houses remain part of the Hall estate, only a handful of people work there.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8583 0403|
|Parish:||SOUTH PICKENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
1903. Neo-Georgian style, but with shaped gables. Massive red brick, but good example of its date. Contemporary stables. On site of at least two previous halls (see below). Previous building was by Donthorne 1829, and according to (S1) two panels of the Parthenon frieze (one hopes, copies!) from this remain somewhere in the gardens.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU), 20 April 1978.
Detailed description in Listing grade II 1986 (S1) which states built in 1902-5 to designs by R. Weir Schultz, but incorporating part of Donthorne's work, for banker G. W. Taylor. Some painting attributed to Laurence Turner.
E. Rose (NAU), 29 October 1986.
Parch-mark site of building(s) on west side of South Pickenham Hall.
Reported by owners 26th August who pegged out site. Plan (in file) at scale of 1/1000. Walls of around 60-70cm thickness and bricks of soft red fabric have inclusions of crushed flint and heavy grits, similar to those that are used in the building of the Ha-Ha wall adjacent to site.
Site visited D. A. Edwards (NAU), 16th October 1975.
Press cutting in file (S2).
D. A. Edwards (NAU).
Architects plans (1994) in file (S3).
December 2012. Planning Application.
Application for alterations and an extension of the grade two listed house.
See (S4) for further details.
Z. Dack (HES), 31 January 2013.
- (Former Type) BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- HA HA (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Modern - 1902 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF8504 H-V. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TF8504/W - AC. |
|---||Serial: Pevsner, N.. The Buildings of England.. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1993. Norfolk estate could sell for £10m.. 18 May. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986. Treasures of famous hall go up for sale.. 15 September. |
|<S3>||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|<S4>||Unpublished document: 2012. Planning application.. |
|46308||Parent of: Back Lodge to Pickenham Hall (Building)|
|46201||Parent of: Keepers Lodge, Pickenham Hall estate (Building)|
|30480||Parent of: Pickenham Park (Monument)|
Find out more...