Record Details

NHER Number:41426
Type of record:Monument
Name:World War Two pillbox at Hunstanton dunes

Summary

A World War Two pillbox, located at the front of sand dunes. It has probably slumped from its original position and is probably the pillbox that is recorded as NHER 32396.

Images

  • A World War Two pillbox that has probably moved from its original position  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TF 68744 43150
Map Sheet:TF64SE
Parish:HUNSTANTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

May to November 2004. Norfolk Rapid Coastal Survey. Context 7.
Located at the front of sand dunes.
World War Two pillbox, possibly slumped from its original position. Probably a type 22 pillbox.
See (S1).
J. Allen (NLA), 14 April 2005.

April 2006.
This is probably the pillbox recorded as NHER 32396. As NHER 32396 is located about 260m to the southwest, it is probable that the grid references recorded in 1992 are incorrect (it is very difficult to accurately locate sites on this stretch of coastline without use of Global Positioning Satellites).
In 2004 a line of gabions stood in front/seaward of the pillbox.
D. Robertson (NLA), 10 April 2006.

NHER 41426 is the correct location for this building and not NHER 32396. No change to description.
E. Rose (NLA), 2 October 2006.

Monument Types

  • PILLBOX (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Unpublished Document: NAU. 2004. Norfolk Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey Context Sheet.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Robertson, D., Crawley, P., Barker, A., and Whitmore, S.. 2005. NAU Report No. 1045. Norfolk Rapid Coastal Zone Archaeological Survey. Assessment Report and Updated Project Design..

Related records

32396Related to: World War Two pillbox at Hunstanton dunes (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service