|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Almshouses Gates or North Gates|
The two ranges of brick almshouses were originally built in 1757, but were altered when the gates were remodelled by S.S. Teulon in the 1840s. The ranges are linked by five four-centred arches to the main arched entrance to the park.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 89165 43524|
|Parish:||HOLKHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
(S1) states the almshouses date from 1757 and were remodelled and linked by a screen, by S.S. Teulon in the 1840s. (S1) dates screen to 1848. (S2) shows an entrance at this point. Present structure consists of two ranges of gault brick and shingled roofs, cast iron casements with mullions; two arched doors to each range; stepped gables, central skew stacks. Linked by screen in form of range of five gault brick arches containing wrought iron screens. Central decorative archway to park.
E. Rose (NLA), 29 April 2003.
Previously numbered NHER 1802 context 5.
- ALMSHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GATE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England.. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 84 SE M. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 423-424. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1373665. |
|<S2>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|1802||Part of: Holkham Park (Monument)|
Find out more...