|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Majority Cottage, Wymondham Road|
A 16th century timber framed house, remodelled in 1848 for Sir John Boileau. The house was originally a hall house, with upper floors inserted in about 1600. The name of the cottage reflects the coming of age of Sir John's eldest son.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 17006 01939|
|Parish:||EAST CARLETON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
16th century and later, remodelled 1848 for Sir John Boileau.
Timber frame, wattle and daub and clay lump.
Four cells, two builds, one storey and attic.
End and central stacks, rebuilt 1848.
Two cells to right later.
Eaves band painted to resemble studwork.
Three doorways, one blocked, one dated 1848.
Bay windows and bargeboards of this date.
Clay lump returns at ends.
Interior has inserted 17th century stack at one gable and 1848 stack at other; central stack not visible.
Inserted upper floor of about 1600 with cross beam having jewel stops and resting on top of earlier rear opening; cracks infilled in brick.
Upper floor with diamond mullioned windows.
Curved roof braces, some straight braces.
Name marks Sir John's oldest son reaching his majority in 1848.
E. Rose (NLA), 4 July 2004.
- HALL HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
Related records - none
Find out more...