Record Details

NHER Number:40217
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of a 19th century water tower

Summary

The site of a 19th century water tower, now demolished. At some point after it was built a second tank was added above the first and an outer brick façade was added.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 67618 41265
Map Sheet:TF64SE
Parish:HUNSTANTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Site of water tower (not to be confused with that at Redgate Hill in Hunstanton parish but known as Heacham).
19th century, at a date subsequent to its construction it had an outer skin of brick added to support a tank on top of the first, thus fossilising the original.
Photographs in Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society records (S1).
See (S2) for further information.
E. Rose (NLA), 7 February 2004.

NIAS records:
The 'new' water tower was constructed in 1899 and with it came steam pumps to work the 50,000 gallon capacity. The first was an early 'energy-to-waste' plant, using town rubbish as fuel. An extra steam engine was added in 1904 to take strain off the first engine.
After WWII (1946) the plant was switched to electric pumping. A chlorinator was fitted too, as was compulsory after the typhoid scarein Crewe.
In 1948 a diesel engine was installed as a standby for the electric pumps.
The waterworks closed between 1952 and 53 due to sewage contamination from flooding.
The old boilerhouse chimney was pulled down in 1953.
The works closed in 1973 but remained on standby until its demolition in 1974.
See (S1)
W. Arnold (HES), 21 Febuary 2011

Monument Types

  • WATER TOWER (Post Medieval - 1682 AD to 1899 AD)
  • WATER TOWER (Post Medieval to Cold War - 1899 AD to 1974 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Monograph: Barton, B.. 2003. Water towers of Britain and their part in bringing water to the people.. p.165.
<S2>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service