|Type of record:||Building|
An early 19th century house, with late 19th century alterations, built on the site of a medieval manor. The house has a brick undercroft, which predates the present house, and seems to have belonged to a much larger house. The oldest visible part of the house dates to the 17th or 18th centuries, and contains reused medieval masonry. The nearby medieval fishponds, NHER 12317, were probably part of the medieval manorial complex.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 84975 28370|
|Parish:||EAST RUDHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Ocotber 1985. Listed, Grade II.
Farmhouse. C.1800. Red brick, red pantiled roof. 2 storeys, 3 windows. 2 ground and 3 first floor tripartite sashes with glazing bars under segmental rubbed brick arched heads. Central pilastered door architrave with 2 leaf 4 panel door, 2 upper panels glazed. Shallow hipped roof with 2 eaves stacks.
Information from (S1).
H. Mellor (HES), 26 June 2017.
Medieval manorial site.
Present building is of about 1800 altered 1899, but incorporates a 17th/18th century cottage containing reused medieval ashlar.
Stands over a remarkable 17th century brick undercroft that does not relate to the present house.
During World War Two part of the building was painting in camoflage and used as a mess for Sculthorpe Airfield.
See (S1) and (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 18 January 2003.
- MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CELLAR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- UNDERCROFT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1152518. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2003. Building Report.. Building Report. |
Related records - none
Find out more...