Record Details

NHER Number:3991
Type of record:Building
Name:All Saints' Church, Dickleburgh and Rushall

Summary

This large church has a Decorated tower with a Tudor brick stair turret. The nave is also in Decorated style although it has later Perpendicular windows. An elaborate Perpendicular south porch with much carving including the letters R G and M M each crowned was added to the church at a later date. The exterior is decorated with gargoyles. The church was heavily restored and rebuilt in the 19th century.

Images

  • All Saints' Church, Dickleburgh.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The medieval rood screen within All Saints' Church, Dickleburgh.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The medieval rood screen within All Saints' Church, Dickleburgh.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The medieval rood screen within All Saints' Church, Dickleburgh.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The medieval rood screen within All Saints' Church, Dickleburgh.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The medieval rood screen within All Saints' Church, Dickleburgh.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TM 1678 8242
Map Sheet:TM18SE
Parish:DICKLEBURGH AND RUSHALL, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

June 1975 Visit (exterior only).
Decorated tower with Tudor brick stair turret. Decorated nave with Perpendicular windows and clerestory. Decorated to Perpendicular transition chancel with ogival priests door and niches each side of east window outside. Highly elaborate
Perpendicular south porch with much carving including letters R G and M M each crowned. Decorated north door. Gargoyles.
E. Rose (NAU), 2 June 1975.

(S1) adds:- carved and figured font, base of screen, Jacobean pulpit original vestry door with ironwork, Elizabethan chalice and cover, alms dish 1699. Flagon 1715. Monument 1659.
E. Rose (NAU).

(S2) 18th century, refer to wallpaintings of Crucifixion and Resurrection found under whitewash. Clerestory windows have stepped transoms. Battlemented east nave gable shown, with mark of older chancel roof. Two storey vestry north of chancel.
E. Rose (NAU).

There is a west gallery with arms of Charles I altered to II on canvas.
E. Rose (NAU).

Three pre-Reformation bells.
Information from P. Cattermole.
E. Rose (NLA), 30 January 1986.

Organ installed 1998 is by Norman and Beard, 1908, from St James's Southtown.
E. Rose (NAU), 13 July 1998.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TM1682A-C (26 March 1974), D, E, (27 April 1984).
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 297-298.
---Photograph: Photographic record of Dickleburgh Church. Print.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997-1998. [Articles on the 'new' organ at All Saints' Church, Dickleburgh and Rushall].
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 131.
<S2>Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service