Record Details

NHER Number:381
Type of record:Monument
Name:Blackfriars Precinct, Norwich

Summary

The Blackfriars Precinct was the first site to be acquired by the Blackfriars. Around 1226 the north side of Black Boys Street became theirs, near to the parish church of St John the Baptist which they took over around 1250 (NHER 564). They eventually got the whole block except the house at the southeast corner and the churchyard of St Mary Unburnt. Their second site was the site of the Friars of the Sack (NHER 194), an area on which now stands St Andrews and Blackfriars Halls, further to the west and more central to the city.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2310 0910
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

Blackfriards Precinct.

First site acquired around 1226 north side of Black Boys Street in parishes of St George and St Clement. Near southwest corner was the parish church of St John the Baptist which they took over around 1250 (NHER 564). They eventually got the whole block except house at south-east corner and churchyard of St Mary Unburnt, ie land between Black Boys Street south, Golden Dog Lane north; Magdalen Street east, and Doughties Hospital Street west. Second site obtained site of Friars of the Sack (NHER 194), that is the St Andrews and Blackfriards Halls, aren't within this precinct.
Within the Blackfriars Precinct, information from NAR records.
To the south of the churchyard of St Mary's Unbrent Church was the city house of Sir Richard de Boyland.
M. Leah (NAU), 25 February 1991.

February 1994. Watching brief carried out on trenches for pipes at rear of 33-39 Calvert Street.
Site NHER 381, Context 2 at TG 2304 0916 rear of 33-39 Calvert Street.
A dark grey layer of soil, seen approximately 0.80m beneath present ground surface contained animal bone, brick, tile and charcoal (discarded), and sherds of medieval pottery (NCM), from the spoil from an area of this layer which had already been removed, were recovered. (NAU Watching Brief No.110).
Plans in file.
S. Bates (NAU) 15 May 1995.

Some of the early 19th century houses in Calvert Street that stand on edge of site were restored in 1995 as an extension to Doughty's Hospital. See (S3) in file for NHER 26323.
E. Rose (NLA) 31 August 1995.

Article missing from file [J Yates 5 July 2010].

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FRIARY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S2>Monograph: Blomefield, F. 1806. The History of The City and County of Norwich, Part II. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk. Vol IV. p 450.
<S3>Publication: Taylor, R. C. 1821. Index Monasticus. p 29.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995. Fine homes from history. 31 August.

Related records

Site 1078Parent of: 1 Calvert Street (2-9 Octagon Court) (Monument)
Site 2485Parent of: 1 Calvert Street (2-9 Octagon Court) (Monument)
Mon 1120Parent of: 11 -12 Calvert Street (Monument)
Site 2487Parent of: 11 and 13 Colegate (Monument)
Mon 948Parent of: 11 and 13 Colegate (Monument)
Mon 1359Parent of: 14-16 Magdalen Street (Monument)
Site 2488Parent of: 15 and 17 Colegate (Monument)
Site 617Parent of: 15-17 Colegate (Monument)
Mon 404Parent of: 15-17 Colegate (Monument)
Site 2573Parent of: 16,18 and 18a Magdalen Street (Monument)
Site 678Parent of: 16-18 Magdalen Street (Monument)
Site 1677Parent of: 19 Colegate (Monument)
Site 1678Parent of: 19 Colegate (Monument)
Site 1679Parent of: 19 Colegate (Monument)
Site 2307Parent of: 19 Colegate (Monument)
Site 2489Parent of: 19 Colegate (Monument)
Mon 834Parent of: 19 Colegate (Monument)
Site 1420Parent of: 2 Old Meeting House Alley (Monument)
Mon 971Parent of: 20-22 Magdalen Street (Monument)
Mon 972Parent of: 24 Magdalen Street (Monument)
Site 521Parent of: 7-11 Calvert Street (Monument)
Site 985Parent of: Balderston Court (Monument)
Mon 1360Parent of: Between 20-22 Magdalen Street (Monument)
Mon 1220Parent of: Blackfriars Precinct ( North of the River) (Monument)
Site 1079Parent of: Blackfriars Precinct (33-39 Calvert Street) (Monument)
Site 2840Parent of: Church of St Margaret, Maghdalen Street (Monument)
Mon 1056Parent of: Girl's Hospital (Golden Dog Lane) (Monument)
Mon 271Parent of: Old Meeting House, Colegate (Monument)
Site 425Parent of: Old Meeting House, Colegate (Monument)
564Parent of: Site of Church of St John Baptist, Colegate, Norwich (Monument)
Mon 446Parent of: Site of Cow Cross (Monument)
Mon 689Parent of: St John the Baptists Colegate Church (Monument)
Mon 690Parent of: St John the Baptists Colegate Churchyard (Monument)
Mon 1281Parent of: Stumped Cross, Calvert St/Cross Lane (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2017 Norfolk Historic Environment Service