|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Church of St John Baptist, Colegate, Norwich|
It is thought that this area, on the north side of Colegate, is the site of the Church of St John Baptist. The church, originally parochial, was given to the blackfriars in 1226, who made it conventual. It may have even stood below the current Octagon Chapel (NHER 26087), and was in use until the blackfriars moved south of the River Wensum. At that point the parish was united with St George at Colegate, and used as a chapel and hermitage.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23070 09064|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Site of Church of St John Baptist, Colegate.
North side of Colegate - the Octagon Chapel may in fact stand on the site of this church.
The church was given to blackfriars in 1226 and was used by them until they moved south of the River Wensum.
It was a parochial church until the friars made it conventual.
The parish was united with St George at Colegate (S1).
When friars left it was used as a chapel and a hermit looked after and lived in it (S1).
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FRIARY (Medieval - 1266 AD to 1539 AD?)
- HERMITAGE (Medieval - 1300 AD? to 1539 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|<S1>||Publication: Blyth, G. K. 1842. The Norwich Guide. p 137. |
|381||Part of: Blackfriars Precinct, Norwich (Monument)|
Find out more...