Record Details

NHER Number:33463
Type of record:Monument
Name:The Lawn


The only example of a detached landscape park within a town in Norfolk. Known as The Lawn, it is across the road from its associated house (The Cedars; NHER 63223) and was originally accessed by an entrance flanked by walls that mirror the walls surrounding The Cedars. By the late 19th century the park was surrounded by belts, as well as a number of other mature trees. The park may have created in the late 18th century after The Cedars was rebuilt in 1781, or in the 19th century.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 1166 8027
Map Sheet:TM18SW

Full description

Norfolk Historic Gardens Survey grade two-star (regional importance).
Only known remaining example of a Detached Landscape Park in Norfolk.
Land formerly part of parish close (1722) containing a large pit.
The Cedars was purchased in 1781 by a Mr Moore who moved the arcaded front forwards; similar walls were built on the other side of the road as entrance to The Lawn.
Pterocarya fraxinifolia (Caucasian wing-nut) introduced, one magnificent specimen survives.
Small part of The Lawn sold off to form rectory garden by 1859.
Terraced entrance opposite The Cedars.
Woodland belts established by 1890; some clumps of trees at least as old as 1838.
Doctors surgery impinged on area in late 20th century.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NLA) 25 February 1998.

Monument Types

  • GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • LANDSCAPE PARK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 302.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Taigel, A. 1997. Norfolk Gardens Trust: Town Gardens Survey - Volume One. Norfolk Gardens Trust.

Related records

63223Related to: The Cedars (60 Mount Street) (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service