|Type of record:||Find Spot|
Metal detecting at this site has recovered many Roman metal finds including coins dating from the 1st to the 4th century, a brooch and a silver finger ring. Other finds include an Early Saxon strap fitting, a medieval buckle and a post medieval figurine. The large number of Roman finds suggests this may have been an area of Roman settlement although there is no recorded Roman pottery.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 95 04|
|Parish:||CARBROOKE, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
1997. Metal detecting.
Six Roman coins.
Roman bronze key fragment.
Roman glass vessel fragment.
Post medieval lead figurine fragment.
Early Saxon copper alloy belt stiffener.
Undated copper alloy plaque fragment.
See list and full details in file.
V. Fryer (NCM), 29 May 1997.
1997. Metal detecting.
Ten Roman coins.
Roman brooch - Langton Down 1st century AD.
Roman nail cleaner.
Roman silver ring.
Roman nail/stud base.
Roman copper alloy mount.
Medieval copper alloy harness pendant, (S1).
Medieval copper alloy locking buckle.
Post medieval silver headdress pin.
Undated ?ingot, (S3).
Full details and coin lists in file.
V. Fryer (NCM), 24 April 1997.
- FINDSPOT (Roman to Early Saxon - 43 AD to 650 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- INGOT (Undated)
- PLAQUE (Undated)
- BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINGER RING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- KEY (LOCKING) (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- NAIL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- STUD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- TOILET ARTICLE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- VESSEL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HARNESS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PENDANT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FIGURINE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Ashley, S. 2002. Medieval Armorial Horse Furniture in Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 101. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Ashley, S.. 19997. Drawing of a medieval horse harness pendant.. Film. 1:1. |
|<S2>||Photograph: NLA. Finds Photograph. |
|<S3>||Illustration: Holness, A.. 1997. Drawing of an Undated ingot.. Paper. 1:1. |
Related records - none
Find out more...