|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St Peter's Guildhall|
This is the site of the guildhall of the Guild of St Peter, which was rebuilt on the site of an earlier medieval building in 1548. The date of the rebuilding is inscribed on a timber beam, which is now kept in the church, see NHER 10500.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 4868 0528|
|Parish:||BURGH CASTLE, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
Site of medieval guildhouse.
Beam, formerly inside, is dated 1548 and refers to a rebuilding after two earlier destructions by fire.
(S1) shows evidence that site of building was beside the gate of the present Manor House (a 19th century construction
incorporating older cottages).
Guildhouse demolished about 1838, the beam was removed to the school and is now in the church.
E. Rose (NLA) 23 July 1996.
- GUILDHALL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GUILDHALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: M. A. C.. Parson Thorne's Beam and the Guildhouse of St Peter. |
Related records - none
Find out more...