|Type of record:||Find Spot|
Metal detecting recovered a variety of finds. These include an Early Saxon wrist clasp, an Early Saxon disc brooch, medieval buckles, part of a medieval horse harness pendant and a medieval jetton. Roman, medieval and post medieval coins were also found.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 21 99|
|Parish:||NEWTON FLOTMAN, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
September to early October 1991. Metal detecting.
Unidentified Roman coin 3rd to 4th century (finder 1).
D. Gurney (NLA).
October to November 1991. Metal detecting.
One more Roman coin, see list in file. Identified by J.A. Davies (NCM).
Medieval strap end buckle with integral attachment plate broken at rivet hole in terminal. Tongue missing.
Identified by S. Margeson (NCM).
A. Rogerson (NLA), 12 November 1991.
1992. Metal detecting.
Medieval bronze buckle fragment with moulded pin rest, 13th century.
Post medieval bronze double-loop buckle, 14th century.
Medieval jetton. See list in file.
Identified by S. Margeson (NCM) and J. Davies (NCM).
V. Fryer (NCM), 20 June 1997.
October/November 2002. Metal-detecting.
1 Roman armlet.
1 Early Saxon wrist clasp and 1 brooch (disk).
1 medieval coin, 1 horse harness pendant (gilt) and 1 belt mount (gilt).
2 post-medieval coins and 1 lead cloth seal.
Objects Identified by S. Ashley (NLA) and coins by A. Marsden (NLA). See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 16 December 2002.
Updated by J. Page (HES), 27 February 2014.
- FINDSPOT (Roman to Post Medieval - 43 AD to 1900 AD)
- BRACELET (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BROOCH (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- SLEEVE CLASP (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HARNESS PENDANT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- JETTON (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUCKLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CLOTH SEAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Illustration: Finds Illustrations. |
|---||Photograph: NLA. Finds Photograph. |
|---||Photograph: I&RS. Finds Polaroid. Polaroid. |
|---||Photograph: 2002. KTN 9-10, Early Saxon disc brooch.. |
|---||Photograph: 2002. KTN 11, Early Saxon wrist clasp.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
Related records - none
Find out more...