|Type of record:||Monument|
Carrow Works is a factory complex, the earliest part of which was built in 1856 by the Colman family. A number of parts of this complex are listed by English Heritage, including the main block 7/7A/8/8A, which is of brick and dates variously to 1870, 1881 and 1898. Block 60, a former barley and groat mill, is also listed, as is Block 92, parts of which date variously to 1857, 1874 and 1878.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 242 075|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Factory complex. Dates from around 1870 to around 1930.
Listed building description updated and enlarged 1993 (S1).
Main block 7/7A/8/8A of brick, part around 1870, part dated 1881 and 1898; parapet 1939. Replaced original buildings of 1856 after a fire.
Block 60, former barley and groat mill.
Block 92, 1857, 1874 and 1878; offices to original Paper Mill Yard.
(Blocks 5, 20a-c in centre excluded from listing).
For full details of construction and history see duplicate of (S1) and (S2) in file.
There is also a fine cast iron sewer vent pipe, noted by A. Rogerson (NLA) and Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 23 November 1993.
See Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society survey on fiche (includes 1985 survey of barley mill, ?now gone?).
April 1986. Listed Grade II. Carrow Works Blocks 7, 7A, 8A and 8 and attached metal canopy.
Factory buildings, identified on Colman's Carrow works site plan by the numbers 7, 7A, 8A and 8 (the latter referred to as 80 on some plans), and including a single storey, gable facing and top lit structure in the narrow courtyard between blocks 8A and 8. The composite group was built over the last quarter of the nineteenth century, with some alterations of intrinsic interest early in the C20. Somerleyton brick in Flemish and mixed bonds; some walls as thick as 3', though usually 14". Dressings in brick with some insets of white vitrified brick. Roofs of slate. The four listed structures form an F-shaped plan, all of four storeys with dormers. Basements. Most openings are segmental arched; brick pier construction, each range terminating at second- or third-floor level in a round-arched recess, creating a blind-arcade effect. Although the completion dates span some three decades, with the earliest works dating to c1870, the methods of construction and materials were largely unchanged, lending the group a great degree of coherence. The following description begins with the west elevation, or the long arm of the F. West facing elevation of building 7 fourteen-window range. The west-facing gable end of 7A of four-window range, with some bricks of contrasting colour in decorative pattern to gable and date stone to lower storey giving year of construction as 1881. Stone kneeler on the join between the two blocks; that to north rebuilt in brick. Of note is a broad, round-arched carriageway to building no 7 and a metal canopy, segmental in section, to the ground floor, southmost window ranges of the same block. North elevation, to river, to buildings 7A and 8: nine-window range marked off by stone kneeler breaking eaves; further six-window ranges to building 8; outer ranges are blind; quayside elevation five storeys; nearly full-height lucarne to fourth bay from the east comer. East-facing gable of building no 8 of three-window range. Single-storey shed with stepped facing gable to metal and glass roof to the south; dated 1898. South return to 8 obscured by the narrowness of site and the 1898 shed. Building 8A has three- window range to gable end, east facing; nine-window range to the south, the westmost range narrower than the rest and rising to a lift tower, the top of which with high brick parapet added in c.1939. The projecting eaves found on all the other blocks have been replaced in building 8A by an Edwardian eaves cornice of cyma profile, an addition of intrinsic merit; segmental- arched dormers to this and other blocks. Building 8A joined to building 7 by a recessed range of vitrified brick to lower storeys. East return of building 7 has eight-window range. Ghost of building noce abutting this range; this structure recently removed. South return of 7 of three- window range with a pair of round-arched openings to ground floor. Interiors: Stairs with metal railing intact; much of roof structure to each building intact, except for the roofs of 7A and 8, here the wood has been partly replaced by metal. Most of the interior structure seen during inspection was wooden; floor joists and boards also, largely of wood. History: In 1870 the site consisted of the recently built rag store (block 7) and the smithy and engineers shop (8 and 8A) built in 1956, just two years after production started on site. In 1881 no 7 rebuilt following a fire. By 1880 the tinmans shop had been built on the site of the original paper mill, smithy and fibre house, buildings 7, 7A, 8 and 8A.
KING STREET (east side) 31/428 - Carrow Works. GV.
II Factory. 1818 on plaque and 1888. Red brick with white brick detail and slate roofs. 2 blocks, parallel to the river of an F-plan complex. 4 storeys plus attic. 9 bays. Simple doorway in right-hand bay. Ground to 2nd floor windows in shallow recess having round-arch heads and keystone in white brick. Sash windows throughout with glazing bars and white brick segmental arches. Coved cornices 3-tier kneeler on right-hand gable. 3 single dormers at ridge level and one double dormer to the let, Tower at left-end containing the former reserve tank for the hydraulic system: at the foot of it a 4.6m tall cylinder. Cast iron cruciform section columns supporting timber beams. 1881 block:- Fronting the river. River elevation:- 5 storeys. 14 bays. Door in 3rd bay from right with semi-circular bay and fanlight, Timber-clad pro- jection at left-side. Ground to 3rd floor windows in recessed panels with round-arch heads. Sash windows with glazing bars and white brick segmental arches throughout. Blind windows in end bays. 4 dormers. These 2 blocks are connected at the west end by a block of 1870 which has a further block of 1856 on its south-east side.
October 1993. Listed Grade II. Carrow Works Block 60.
Factory building. 1870-1880. Somerleyton brick with brick dressings. Hipped roofs of slate with projecting eaves and exposed rafter ends; weatherboarded lucarne. Metal frame windows. Rectangular block. Three storeys with fourth storey to quayside, or north face. Six-window range to Paper Mill Yard, or south elevation. Segmental-arched windows, those to the first floor set in round-arched recesses; outer ranges blind; round-arched entrance with overlight in fifth- window range. Structures to east (buildings numbered 61A, B and C) west (lean-to shed and taller structure to north faced in corrugated metal) are specifically excluded from the listing. East elevation articulated into bays by shallow round-arched arcade; northmost range blind. Five southmost ranges of west elevation visible, all following same pattern as those to the east; two ranges at comer blind. Partial inspection of north or quayside elevation revealed a lucarne covered in corrugated metal to top floor supported on metal brackets. From 1926 to 1940 the structure was used as the Barley and Groats Mill. By 1960 it was used for Colman's Dry sauces. In 1991 it was used for Colman's Dry Sauce Mixes.
October 1993. Listed Grade II. Carrow Works Block 92.
Offices, used sometimes as stores. 1857, enlarged in 1874 and again in 1878. Somerleyton brick in Flemish bond with hipped roof of slate; projecting eaves. Two storeys, with six segmental dormers; broad, sweeping comer dominating the original site, known as Paper Mill Yard. Straight return to south and north of four-window ranges each; curved comer range of five windows with straight return of two windows to the northeast. All windows flat arched with 2 x 2 sashes of an original C19 design, lintels of gauged brick and brick storey band. Round arched entrances in south elevation, with datestone above inscribed 1878, and in first curving comer range. Lateral wall stack to right of the former entrance and directly above the latter. Last curving range to north with similar stack. Rear elevation to alley. Specifically excluded is four- storey block to rear of block 92. Cast-iron columns inside; floor construction not seen at inspection. Other interior features removed or covered over during recent refurbishment which affected only the interior of the structure.
Various work carried out on site by RPS Clouston as part of proposed development.
See (S3), (S4) and (S5) in file.
T. Sunley (NLA) 30 October 2007.
Press cuttings (S6) and (S7) also in file.
T. Sunley (NLA) 30 October 2007.
See (S8) for the history of J. and J. Colman.
S. Howard (NLA), 13 May 2010.
NIAS have a comprehensive record of the site from surveys and historical sources including building assessments, listed building details, historic map analyses and sequential plans and lists of the buildings construction, demolition and modification dates as well as documents on company history,modern site re-development plans, details of the machinery used and a detailed photographic record.
W. Arnold (HES), 16 Febuary 2011.
- FACTORY (Post Medieval - 1856 AD to 1900 AD?)
- MILL (Post Medieval - 1856 AD to 1900 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Scheduling Record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S2>||Graphic Material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: RPS Clouston. 5 Apr 1993. Proposed development at the Carrow Works, Norwich: Report on archaeological study. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Document: RPS Clouston. 20 Jul 1993. Historical Evaluation report: The Paper Mill Yard, Carrow, Norwich. |
|<S5>||Unpublished Document: RPS Clouston. 30 Nov 1993. Borehole logs: The Paper Mill Yard, Carrow, Norwich. |
|<S6>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 6 May 1995. |
|<S7>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 27 Sept 2003. |
|<S8>||Unpublished Document: Edgar, S. H.. The history of J. & J. Colman. |
|<S9>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
|54761||Parent of: Early 20th century retaining wall and revetment (Monument)|
|465||Parent of: Mesolithic flint tranchet axehead, Carrow Works (Find Spot)|
|473||Parent of: Palaeolithic worked flint implements and mammoth remains, Carrow Works (Find Spot)|
|26411||Parent of: Possible site of large air raid shelter (Monument)|
|41287||Parent of: Site with no archaeological finds or features (Negative evidence)|
|52825||Parent of: Site with no archaeological finds or features, Carrow Works, King Street (Negative evidence)|
|MNO9698||Related to: Carrow Works: Blocks 7, 7A, 8A and 8 & att metal canopy King Street NORWICH (Revoked)|
Find out more...