|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||World War Two monitoring post and Cold War Royal Observers Corps site|
This Royal Observers Corps site is an underground room that was built in January 1959. It may have replaced an earlier World War Two monitoring post. The site would have been used in the event of a nuclear war to measure fall out. It went out of use in 1991, but has been completely restored with all its fittings still installed and is occasionally open to the public.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 695 318|
|Parish:||INGOLDISTHORPE, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Royal Observer Corps post.
Mostly underground, no raised chamber above ground in this instance. Still in use.
E. Rose (NAU), 10 May 1989.
The underground type date from after 1953. This example built in January 1959. It is now restored, fitted out and opened to the public, though inaccurately known as Mill Lane, Dersingham (in fact Mill Road, Ingoldisthorpe).
See (S1) press cuttings in file and also filed under NHER 33781.
E. Rose (NLA), 2 September 1999.
Cold War Monuments Protection Plan assessment identifies this as a site of national importance, and it is to be listed or scheduled.
See file for details and report on CD ROM.
D. Gurney (NLA), 27 December 2001.
- ROYAL OBSERVER CORPS SITE (Cold War - 1959 AD to 1991 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Cocroft, W.. 2001. Cold War Monuments: An Assessment by the Monuments Protection Programme.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Article in serial: Catford, N.. 1999. ROC Underground Posts in Norfolk.. NIAS Journal. Vol 6, No 4. pp 59ff. |
Related records - none
Find out more...