Record Details

NHER Number:24755
Type of record:Building
Name:Bath Hills post medieval bath house

Summary

This small brick building is set in a steep hillside at the rear of Bath Hills Farm, across Bigod Way footpath. It has a shaped gable to the southeast above, possibly modern, doors in the original doorway. There are windows in the side walls. It may be the bath that made Bungay a spa town.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 3188 9104
Map Sheet:TM39SW
Parish:EARSHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Bath Hills bath.
Small brick building set in steep hillside at rear of Bath Hills Farm, across Bigod Way footpath. Not shown on (S1) but on (S2) and still extant. Shaped gable to south east above modern? doors in original doorway. Windows in side walls. Is this the cold bath that gave its name to Bath Hills in the 18th century and made Bungay a spa town, though the bath was in Norfolk?
E. Rose (NAU), 31 August 1988

The account in (S3) makes this seem unlikely as it states that bath was demolished in 1880 and only a hollow remains on the site; a portico was removed to the farmhouse. However the account is unclear and there seems to be confusion in it between the farmhouse and the bath house; no plan is given.
E. Rose (NLA), 24 November 1993.

February 2007. A second distant observation, again only from footpath but when less vegetation, shows that the small building is entirely of 19th century brickwork [1].
It may be that some of the references are to Cold Bath House to the northeast in Ditchingham parish.
E. Rose (NLA), 19 February 2007.

Monument Types

  • BATH HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. A ring of Dickens about this cottage. 9 December.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. House of inspiration. 17 November.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map..
<S2>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-7. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 2nd edition (revised 1902-7).
<S3>Article in Serial: Manning, M.. 1993. Taking the Waters in Norfolk.. NIAS Journal. Vol 5, No 3, p 142.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service