|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Possible medieval dam on northeast side of wood|
An earthwork dam across a stream that runs parallel to the parish boundary is visible on the ground and on aerial photographs. It has been suggested that this is a medieval dam and fishpond associated with nearby Binham Priory (NHER 2081) and/or landowners in Langham. Another medieval dam and fishpond lies nearby, see NHER 24413.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9954 4046|
|Parish:||LANGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Earthen embankment crossing stream.
Not shown on (S1) or (S2), but marked on 1:2500 Ordnance Survey.
Reported by  who suggests it is a monastic fish pond for Binham Priory.
E. Rose (NAU), 21 April 1988.
August 1997. Field Observation.
Following a field visit to this dam and NHER 24413, it was suggested that the two dams may were constructed to create a head of water for a mill, likely the mill at Binham Priory (NHER 2031).
See (S3) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 10 June 2008.
October 2002. Norfolk NMP.
The earthwork bank or dam of possible medieval date, is visible on 1946 RAF aerial photographs (S4). The linear bank runs from TF 9948 4015 to TF 9961 4040. It appears to be cut into two sections by the stream channel. The whole linear measures 167m and approximately 8m wide although the northern end widens out to 12m. It has been suggested that this is a medieval dam related to the storage of fish and is associated with Binham Priory, NHER 2081.
S. Massey (NMP), 11 November 2002.
June 2008. Field Survey.
The remains of the dam were observed during a rapid survey of the fields surrounding a medieval moated site in Langham (NHER 6174). The earthwork was estimated to continue for a length of about 300m, across the entire stream bed. The width was obscured by vegetation, but has been estimated to be 15m, possibly 25m at the base. An abundance of large, roughly shaped flints seen in areas where the bank has decayed suggests that the dam may have had a flint core. Features at right angles to the stream indicate that the dam was associated with a fish pond system. Two possible building platforms were also located in a wooded area southeast of the dam.
It has been suggested that this dam was actually part of the water management system associated with the medieval moated site at Langham (NHER 6174). It is situated just within the parish boundary of Langham (outside of Binham parish) and appears to be associated with a system of trackways leading north and east, back into Langham. In addition, well defined fish pond systems associated with Binham priory have been identified elsewhere.
See (S5) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 10 June 2008.
June 2008. Field visit.
As the River Stiffkey flows northeast to southwest through the dam, it would have probably been associated with landowners in Langham.
D. Robertson (NLA), 9 July 2008.
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DAM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FISHPOND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1920. 25 inch map revision. |
|<S2>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1957. Ordnance Survey 6 inch map. |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: Cushion, B.. 1997. Brief report on visit to RE planning application Ref: 97/0992. 13 August. |
|<S4>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1571 4152-3 07-JUN-1946 (Norfolk SMR TF 9940A-B). |
|<S5>||Unpublished document: Rampley, A.. 2008. Site Name MNF24412. Langham Dam. 08 June 2008. |
|24413||Related to: Site of medieval dam and fishpond (Monument)|
Find out more...