Record Details

NHER Number:2386
Type of record:Building
Name:St Edmund's Church, Emneth

Summary

This is a large and important church. The chancel was built in the 12th century and was extended to the east in the mid 13th century with a grand east window. The north chapel was rebuilt in the late 13th century blocking the clerestory. Much of the church was rebuilt in the late 15th to the early 16th century. The churchyard contains many interesting gravestones.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 4884 0738
Map Sheet:TF40NE
Parish:EMNETH, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

St Edmund's Church.
Large and important church. Chancel 12th century transitional with remains of clerestory and evidence of side chapels. Extended to east in mid 13th century with grand east window. North chap
el rebuilt late 13th century blocking clerestory. Part of nave south wall predates late 15th century to early 16th century rebuilding of south aisle, south chapel, nave, north aisle and tower. North aisle apprently the last part to be done. South porch same period. North chapel divided into vestry probably in mid 16th century. Chancel and south clerestory, 15th century removed in 1886. Very fine 15th to 16th century roof, good 16th century tombs one by stone, Bell frame. Good 13th century carved coffin lids. Churchyard contains a number of good headstones of which twenty are listed grade II. The church is grade I.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NLA).

July 1987. Excavation and Watching Brief.
Observation carried out on the repairs to the flooring in the north chapel. Excavation revealed Pavement of 14th to 15th century tiles. In the loose rubble above the pavement loose fragments of 13th and 14th century tiles were discovered and some were of unusual form. The loose tiles have been donated to Norwich Castle Museum.
See report (S2) for further details. The results of this work are summarised in (S6).
M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 24 June 2013.

1991. Excavation.
Following the discovery of tiled pavements in 1987, the remainder of the chapel floor was replaced in 1991 to the west of the previous observations and a second pavement was uncovered by E. Rose for NAU. It was situated around the central pier of the chancel arcade, the smaller Flemish tiles have been dated to the 1400 and the larger tile have occurred in the late 15th to mid-16th centuries loose fragments of other 14th to 15th century tiles were also recovered. This pavement has been suggested to have been a standing for an alter against a paraclose screen.
Further tiles found.
The results of this work are summarised in (S7) and (S8).
E. Rose (NLA), 1991 amended by M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 24 June 2013.

May to August 2000. Watching brief on groundworks for new toilets.
No undisturbed natural material was found indicating that the footing trenches had not reached the bottom of the disturbance caused by the building of the tower. The evidence shows that the north aisle was built after the tower.
See (S3) in file.
See also (S5).
D. Gurney (NLA), 21 December 2000.

2000.
14th century lead glazed floor tile found during watching brief.
See (S4) in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 7 February 2001.21

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FLOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • INSCRIBED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FLOOR TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GRAVESTONE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: PZ 14-15.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1902. Hundred of Freebridge Marshland. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol X. pp 10-18.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 332-333.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1987. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1987. The tiled pavement in the north chapel..
<S3>Unpublished Contractor Report: Johnson, A. M. 2000. Report on an Archaeological Watching Brief at St Edmund's Church, Emneth, Norfolk.
<S4>Unpublished Document: Norfolk Museums Service Entry form.
<S5>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2001. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 2000. Norfolk Archaeology. XLIII Pt IV pp 707-728. p 712.
<S6>Article in Serial: Youngs, S. M., Clark, J., Gaimster, D. R. M. and Barry, T.. 1988. Medieval Britain and Ireland in 1987. Medieval Archaeology. Vol XXXII pp 225-314. p 262.
<S7>Article in Serial: Nenk, B. S., Margeson, S. and Hurley, M. 1992. Medieval Britain and Ireland in 1991. Medieval Archaeology. Vol XXXVI pp 184-308. p 252.
<S8>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1992. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk in 1991. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLI Pt III pp 371-379. p 373.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service