|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Little Massingham House|
The house may stand on the site of an earlier medieval manor and a post medieval brickworks. The present house was built in 1904 to 1905 by Edmund Wimperis and J.R. Best and was intended to reproduce the character and design of Bixley Hall (NHER 9876). It is built in red brick in two storeys and an attic with a seven bay façade. It imitates a style of around 1714. The entire house with stables and lodge was built at the cost of £7624.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 791 238|
|Parish:||LITTLE MASSINGHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Manor on (S1).
April 1987. Listed, Grade II.
1904 to 1905 by Edmund Wimperis and J.R. Best, for Mrs E.W. Birkbeck. Intended to reproduce character and design of Bixley Hall which the architects and client recorded before demolition in 1904. English bond red brick, Ancaster stone dressings. Broseley reds on roof, two storeys and attic, seven bay facades - imitates style of around 1714. East façade has three central advanced bays and recessed two bay wings. Central pedimented doorcase. All windows sashes. First floor platband and wooden eaves modillion cornice continued as pediment. Sash in pediment between two dormers. Two ridge stacks. South garden front has two bay advanced wings, three bay recessed centre with hooded stone doorcase. Single storey colonaded loggia and pilastered garden room with lunette in gable. Single storey services west and north. Built at cost of £7624 with stables and lodge by Cubitts and Gotts of Ipswich, carving by Jago of London. Contemporary garden layout.
Information from (S3).
E. Rose (NAU), 24 February 1986.
B. Cushion (NLA) states that the house and gardens stand on the site of a brickworks marked on (S4). There is no such marking on the (S5), though a track is shown approaching a blank plot from the east (the present drive).
E. Rose (NLA), 13 January 1995.
- BRICKWORKS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Countryside Stewardship
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 522. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map.. |
|<S2>||Publication: 10 February . Builder. p.140-1. |
|<S3>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077659. |
|<S4>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 1st edition. |
|<S5>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-7. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 2nd edition (revised 1902-7). |
|43990||Parent of: The Lodge (Building)|
|9876||Related to: Remains of Bixley Hall and ornamental gardens and moat (Monument)|
Find out more...