Record Details

NHER Number:2125
Type of record:Building
Name:Old Rectory

Summary

This manor house was built for Sir Ralph Shelton around 1525. It may have originally been pentagonal in shape. The house was significantly altered in the 18th century and enlarged and restored in 1853. The south front, however, is still original and has a frieze of terracotta panels above each floor with IHS monograms and Renaissance motifs. There are turrets panelled with gothic brick tracery. The house formerly contained the bed from Fotheringay Castle used by Mary Queen of Scots.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9456 3452
Map Sheet:TF93SW
Parish:GREAT SNORING, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

15 November 1979. Visit.
Manor house built for Sir Ralph Shelton around 1525. Pugin in (S1) suggested it was originally pentagonal in shape; the rector in 1897 wrote that foundations discovered supported this but that the surviving terracotta frieze panels did not. House was altered in 18th century and enlarged and restored in 1853. The south front is original with two storeys of original windows, and a frieze of terracotta panels above each floor with HIS monograms and Renaissance motifs (some panels from the other sides are in the Bridewell Museum.) Polygonal angle turrets panelled with gothic brick tracery. East front is indeed at an obtuse angle to the south; it's all Georgianised with the main entrance moved here from the south (the old front door survives) but odd fragments of the original work show through, and angle turrets survive. North gable all recent. West side is the 1853 extensions, single storey with a tower behind, in a Tudoresque style. Tall chimneystacks, much renewed. The house formerly contained the bed from Fotheringay Castle used by Mary Queen of Scots. Terracotta plaque over door in garden wall.
E. Rose (NAU), November 1979.

(S2) says tower is original 1525 or 15th century and remainder of west side is 17th century, and there is a wing of 1840. No mention of 1853 work. Which is correct?
E. Rose (NAU), 19 December 1984.

April 2009.
A photographic survey of a garden wall was undertaken prior to lowering.
See (S3) for further details and photographs
H. White (NLA), 1 July 2009

Monument Types

  • MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: Rose, E.. SZ. Great Snoring Tithe Barn..
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. The Old Rectory at Great Snoring - picture.. 24 February.
---Illustration: Cotman, J.S.. 1815. Great Snoring Church, Norfolk sketched 1815.
---Article in serial: Purcell, D.. 1973. Sixteenth-century terra-cotta in East Anglia.. ASCHB. Vol 1.
---Article in serial: 1905. The Dabchick.. Country Life. 30 September, p1.
---(No record type): Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Snoring (Great).
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Archive: Bolingbroke Collection.
<S2>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S3>Unpublished document: Birks, C.. 2009. Chris Birks Archaeological Services Report No. CB177R. An Historic building recording at the Manor House, Barsham Road, Great Snoring..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2017 Norfolk Historic Environment Service