Record Details

NHER Number:2123
Type of record:Monument
Name:Roman building

Summary

Fieldwalking and metal detecting has recovered a large number of Roman finds including fragments of pottery, building material and a 'marl floor'. Finds also included coins, part of a Roman finger ring and an almost complete Roman copper alloy snake's head bracelet. The number of finds suggests there was a Roman building in the area.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 93 32
Map Sheet:TF93SW
Parish:GREAT SNORING, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

1967. In ploughed field.
Roman brick and tile fragments.

Around 1974 to 1978.
(S1) referes to marl floor and Roman material found. However in a box of sherds left by C. J. S. Green (NCM) only a mortarium rim and a hone were marked as from this site.
Information from A. Rogerson (NAU).

Winter 1984 to 1985. Metal detecting and surface finds.
Context 1 general scatter.
Three lead pot plugs.
Central and South Gaulish Samian.
Foot of Hod Hill brooch.
Roman finger ring fragment. See (S3).

Context 2 to 15.
Faustina to 4th century Roman coins.
See (S2).

Context 16.
Most of a very fine stylised Roman snake bracelet in copper alloy.
See (S2 and S3).

1985. Metal detecting.
Eleven Roman coins. See list in file.
Medieval copper alloy dagger pommel.
Identified by T. Gregory (NAU) and S. Margeson (NCM).
S. Margeson (NCM), 14 November 1985.

1990. Metal detecting. Behind cottage at Thorpland Hall.
Roman and medieval coins. See list in file.
Identified by S. Margeson (NCM) and D. Gurney (NAU).
A. Rogerson (NAU), 26 September 1990.

1994. Metal detecting finds.
Sixteen Roman coins. See list in file.
Early Saxon small long brooch.
Middle Saxon strap end fragment.
9th century strap end terminal.
Middle Saxon strap end fragment with openwork.
Two medieval silver coins. See list in file.
Medieval rectangular belt slide.
Lead object with relief cross hatching. Pilgrim badge?
Shield shaped counter plate from fastener.
Gilded bronze bell.
Space plate from belt chape with acorn terminal.
Late medieval purse bar fragment.
13th century buckle with moulded pin rest.
Three post medieval coins and tokens. See list in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 6 January 1995.

Monument Types

  • BUILDING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FLOOR (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Associated Finds

  • WHETSTONE (Undated)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • BRACELET (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • BRICK (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FINGER RING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FLUE TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • BROOCH (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
  • STRAP FITTING (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
  • STRAP FITTING (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • BELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DAGGER (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DRESS COMPONENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PILGRIM BADGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PURSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • STRAP FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Snoring (Great).
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Unpublished document: Green, C. J. S.. Manuscript Note. Thorpland Hall Field 22..
<S2>Map: Finder's Map..
<S3>Illustration: Gregory, T.. 1985. Sketches of a Roman finger ring fragment and a copper alloy snake bracelet.. Film. 1:1.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service