|Type of record:||Building|
A 17th or early 18th century house of red brick, two storeys high with shaped gables. It is thought the building has been subdivided into two residences
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8456 4433|
|Parish:||BURNHAM OVERY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
25 October 1984. Visit.
House, subdivided into two properties and possibly now again under one occupation.
Red brick aligned east to west, of two storeys. Shaped gables and dentilled cornice. Roof with off centre stack having four freestanding flues set at angles to ridge. All windows late including circular window in west gable. Seen only from outside garden owing to absence of owners and presence of guard dogs, but brick work is clearly old; however it is possible the shaping of the gables could be later.
Position of stack does suggest this is a genuine 17th century, or more probably in this case, early 18th century, house. However not included in Department of Environment revised List.
E. Rose (NAU) 1 November 1984.
A huge cross wing has been added at the west end, removing the original west gable and wall.
E. Rose (NLA) 5 December 1993.
However, West Norfolk believe that the building is a complete 1930s replica built of secondhand bricks.
Map evidence suggests the Borough concil is correct. House not shown on 19th century maps, malthouse marked on site which is unlikely to be this building.
INF RPS Consultants.
E. Rose (NLA) 30 June 2000.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
Related records - none
Find out more...