|Type of record:||Building|
A defensible granary of red brick, dating to about 1800. It was probably part of a series of defence installations erected during the Napoleonic Wars.
The north façade looks out over the harbour and has gun ports on either side of a large central arch (now blocked). The upper floor may be a later addition.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8452 4435|
|Parish:||BURNHAM OVERY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
25 October 1984. Visited.
Defensible Granary, Overy Staithe.
Red brick building with north façade facing out over harbour and having large central archway now blocked up to form door and window. Each side of arch an original window and terracotta fleur de lys above, and beyond these are gun ports. Upper floor windows seem to cut into the dentilled cornice and may be later; there is also a low central dormer, which may not be original. Millstone used as doorstep. Some similarities to another former granary further west but that has no gunports. Brickwork seems to be from about 1800, could well be from Napoleonic Wars (compare Gun Hill, site NHER1729). Building first noted by . Not Listed.
5 December 1993.
- FORTIFICATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GRANARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LOOPHOLED WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
Related records - none
Find out more...