|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Post medieval icehouse in Abbey House landscaped park|
This post medieval icehouse is part of Abbey House landscaped park. It was partly demolished in 1927 but the chamber cut into the side of the hill can still be identified.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9381 3661|
|Parish:||WALSINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Icehouse. According to  this was demolished 1927 and few traces survive.
E. Rose (NAU).
However  states that this is still largely intact with only part of the entrance tunnel missing.
E. Rose (NAU), 4 September 1981.
 adds chamber remains but entrance passage gone. Cut into slope of hillside.
Built in the early 19th century the icehouse seems to have only been used for c 100 years. It was marked on the early 20th century OS map as 'disused'. The structure is said to have been partly demolished in 1927 by estate staff while the then owner  was away. He stopped the demolition on his return but the entrance and roof were already lost. A report of 2008 suggests the chamber is in sound condition although full of debris. Information from (S1).
K. Powell (HES), 21 March 2012
- ICEHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Unpublished Contractor Report: Historic Landscape Management. 2008. Walsingham Abbey Grounds. Landscape Conservation Strategy. Historic Landscape Management. |
|<S1>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
|56859||Part of: Abbey House Park, Walsingham (Monument)|
Find out more...