Record Details

NHER Number:20140
Type of record:Monument
Name:Medieval earthworks

Summary

Earthworks in this area may be a hollow way across the common, a common edge ditch and possible medieval house platforms.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 1926 8209
Map Sheet:TM18SE
Parish:DICKLEBURGH AND RUSHALL, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

March 1984. Visit. Earthworks in field south of old smithy. Pasture field.
Along north edge a few yards south of present road is linear east to west U shaped depression resembling a hollow way. Water collects in bottom but does not appear to be a water course (pond in its end in yard to east is modern). Central north to south linear depression joins it centrally; south end of this is adjacent to large waterfilled pit but does not connect. Resulting two blocks of land south of hollow way resemble house platforms. No finds in molehills. Larger field to south is ploughed and has no undulations. Owner intends to present it to Norfolk and Norwich Naturalists Trust.
E. Rose (NAU), 12 March 1984.

1997.
The site and field to south is now owned by the parish council, is called St Clements Common and is open for public access. The east to west depression is probable common edge ditch. (S1) shows a narrow linear green, with the north south subdivision to south a possible toft boundary, but a rather subdued feature. No obvious building platforms, but grass mostly too long for easy interpretation.
B. Cushion (NLA), July 1997.

Hollow way runs north to south on east side of field about 75 metres long, becoming shallower and broader to south, holding some water here. A few fault undulations do not indicate toft sites. Pond in centre. Parish clerk says old cart track used to run through the common.
H. Paterson (A&E), 8 February 2000.

Monument Types

  • EARTHWORK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOLLOW WAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE PLATFORM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • VILLAGE GREEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service